Gruppen
Menschen Wissenschaft Politik Mystery Kriminalfälle Spiritualität Verschwörungen Technologie Ufologie Natur Umfragen Unterhaltung
weitere Rubriken
PhilosophieTräumeOrteEsoterikLiteraturAstronomieHelpdeskGruppenGamingFilmeMusikClashVerbesserungenAllmysteryEnglish
Diskussions-Übersichten
BesuchtTeilgenommenAlleNeueGeschlossenLesenswertSchlüsselwörter
Schiebe oft benutzte Tabs in die Navigationsleiste (zurücksetzen).

MJ~Leben u. Sterben~u das Geschehen danach!

23.746 Beiträge ▪ Schlüsselwörter: Mord, Michael Jackson, Verurteilung ▪ Abonnieren: Feed E-Mail

05.08.2013 um 09:00
@Sylvina
Zitat von SylvinaSylvina schrieb:Debbie schreibt was von "Hai-Woche". Was meint sie damit? :D
weiß ich leider auch nicht ... habe mal "#RaggedToothSharks" in die Suchfunktion eingegeben ... https://twitter.com/search?q=%23RaggedToothSharks&src=hash

dies KÖNNTE es sein
Michael McTernan ‏@divemecrazy 18 Mär
Dive Sodwana Bay South Africa http://ow.ly/iSGjO #RaggedToothSharks
4:02 PM - 18 Mär 13

Tauchen an der Sodwana Bay South Africa ...
http://youdivemecrazy.blogspot.de/2013/03/sodwana-bay.html (Archiv-Version vom 13.09.2013)
ein Erlebnis für viele Taucher ...

#viggle steht auch noch in Debbies Tweet ... habe bisher keine Übersetzung dazu finden können ...

Painted Desert Ranch ‏@DJRJPDR 3h
Shark week

#RaggedToothSharks #viggle
5:11 AM - 5 Aug 13

hier gibt es Tipps ... mal sehen ob man damit weiter kommen kann ... hahaha
http://viggletips.com/

Anzeige
2x zitiertmelden

05.08.2013 um 11:38
Quelle: MJJC ~ Eintrag #62 ~ User: Ivy
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/129265-Katherine-Jackson-vs-AEG-Live-Daily-Trial-Testimony-Summary/page5

Jacksons vs AEG - Day 59 – July 30 2013 – Summary

Katherine and Trent Jackson was present in court.

Before testimony resumed, AEG's Kathryn Cahan said last week, when Dr. Saunders' video deposition was played, they didn't read a correction. She said when Dr. Saunders said the only two drugs he know of were Demerol and morphine -- it should be buprenorphine instead of Morphine. (ABC7)

Eric Briggs Testimony

AEG Direct

Strong continued her questioning. Briggs said he was tasked to analyze Erk's projection related to MJ's potential work-related income.

Briggs Conclusions:
1- It is speculative as to whether these projects would be completed;
2- The projection and numbers are speculative (ABC7)

She asked Briggs for his bottom-line opinion in the case. He didn't give a number for what he thought were Jackson's potential earnings. Instead Briggs said that it would be speculative to offer a damages opinion, and reiterated he thought Arthur Erk's numbers were speculative (AP)

Strong finished her questions. Jacksons' attorney Brian Panish did cross examination.

Jackson cross

Plaintiff's attorney Brian Panish started his cross-examination, which was pointed and initially focused on Briggs' billings in the case. Briggs' firm has billed between $600-700k for their work in the case. He doesn't have detailed time records for the work done though. Panish spent a lot of time asking Briggs to justify the billings and showed him a binder of items he prepared before his deposition. After numerous questions, Panish showed the jury about a stack of documents about an inch high that Briggs had compiled of his work. Some of it was the Q score data he explained yesterday, and other files were news articles. He compiled notes, but they were bullet points. Briggs also reviewed the testimony of numerous other experts in the case, as well as Randy Phillips and Paul Gongaware. Briggs initially identified 15 depositions he'd reviewed, but as his testimony went on he remembered others he had read through. (AP)

Briggs said he's engaged in this matter as AEG and O'Melveny & Myers expert witness. "I'm offering my independent opinion in his matter," Briggs said. As an individual, he's not being paid. Panish asked if his company was being paid, and the expert said FTI consulting is billing fees in this matter. (ABC7)

Panish: You are being paid by this side here, sir?
Briggs: I don't agree with your characterization
Panish: You never worked for us?
Briggs: I'm not performing work in this matter for Mrs. Jackson and Panish law firm (ABC7)

"I'm engaged in this matter as an expert witness," Briggs responded. "My firm has been hired by AEG and O'Melveny & Myers." (ABC7)

Panish: So you are not independent?
Briggs: I'm not sure I understand where you're going with this.(ABC7)

Briggs said he has had between 4 and 6 meeting with AEG's attorneys over the last two weeks. The expert said he worked 40-50 hours approximately since July 18. He said he went to the attorneys' office 5 days last week, 2 this week. Briggs said another member of his firm (Matthew) is helping him in the case. Matthew has been with the company for about a year and Panish says he's the one who has been doing a lot of the work. Briggs said Panish's characterization that Matthew worked the most in this case is concerning. (ABC7)

Panish: How much, sir, have you charged O'Melveny & Myers?
Briggs said the total bill is in the order of $600,000 to $700,000.
Panish: And you say you're independent, correct, sir?
Briggs: I'm offering my independent opinion in this matter (ABC7)

Briggs said his understanding is that there's another person hired by AEG to testify regarding damages in this case. Panish said the expert testified in his deposition he had worked 130 hours in this case. Since his deposition, Briggs said he has worked approximately 200 additional hours, 350 hours total. Panish showed the witness the bill sent by Briggs' company. It does not detail the work done, only the amount of hours spent. (ABC7)

Panish: Do you keep track of the hours you work?
Briggs: Yes, I tell my assistant how much I worked on a case (ABC7)

Bill shows 17.3 hours worked, $13,840 charge. Briggs said he doesn't know specifically what he did on those hours, but did research in connection with the case, preparing for deposition. (ABC7)

Panish held a three ring binder with about 2 inches of documents and asked Briggs if those were all the documents he generated for $650K. Briggs said that binder does not contain everything that he generated. (ABC7)

Panish: Everything contained in this little file is what you generated in this case, correct?
Briggs: By your definition, yes (ABC7)

Panish said the material Briggs generated is about an inch worth of documents. Briggs said that if Panish is defining in printed paper what he generated, then yes. But if he counted deposition and testimony, then no. (ABC7)

Panish: Did you ever make a list of all the depositions you reviewed in this case?
Briggs: I did not put together an exhaustive list. (ABC7)

Briggs said he read thousands of pages of depositions, probably 10K. Panish asked if Briggs made summaries of the depositions. He said no. "I cannot give you an exhaustive list of all the depositions I reviewed in this case," Briggs said. He named about 15/16 people. Briggs said he reviewed the opening statements by both parties, summary judgment and opposition, and the judge's ruling. Briggs said he has only testified once in UK related to a tax case. He has never testified before in a court in the US. The expert didn't summarize the trial testimony he read either. He named about 7 people from whom he read testimony. (ABC7)

Panish: Did you review Billboard Magazine regarding this case?
Briggs: Yes
Panish: You never promoted a concert, have you?
Briggs: I'm not a concert promoter (ABC7)

Briggs also said he has never produced concerts. People in the music industry are his clients, Briggs said. (ABC7)

Panish: And the highest selling album in the history of the world is "Thriller," correct, sir? Briggs: I believe that's correct. The chart stated it sold 65 million. (ABC7)

Panish: You understand the defendants say they are not responsible for anything in this case, right? Briggs: I'm not entirely sure what the defendants said they are responsible for . (ABC7)

"I don't believe the defendants are admitting they owe anything" Briggs said. He said he was asked to opine on plaintiff's damage analysis. Panish: MJ would earn no money in the future had he not died? Briggs: My opinion is that it is speculative to project that he (MJ) would earn money related to work. (ABC7)

Panish: Your opinion, had MJ not died, he would have earned no money, correct?
Briggs: That's not my opinion
Panish: How much would he have made working in concerts?
Briggs: My opinion is that it is speculative to project earnings for future work
Panish: Could he have made money working?
Briggs: Sure, anything is possible (ABC7)

Briggs: My opinion related to Mr. Erk's analysis, which has earning capacity in it. Briggs said his understanding is that future earning capacity is what someone is expected to receive for future work. Panish asked if Briggs has ever testified regarding loss of income in wrongful death or personal injury cases. The expert said no. "I've not done projection of loss of earning capacity," Briggs said. (ABC7)

Briggs said he's worked an average of 50 weeks per year over the past 15 years. Panish calculated it to be about 750 weeks of work. Panish: So you worked on 1300 project in 750 weeks? Briggs: Approximately (ABC7)

Panish showed a document Briggs wrote that was basis for opinion on not getting endorsement is debt. Briggs notes: Challenges with major advertisers given history (drug usage, child abuse, litigation, debt); also negative publicity. Briggs: MJ history of significant debt figured in my opinion that MJ would encounter challenges in securing endorsements. Panish asked if Briggs considered MJ's Sony ATV catalogue, which is one of his assets, to offset the debt. (ABC7)

Panish: How do you know he was in debt?
Briggs: There were extensive testimony in this case about MJ's debt (ABC7)

Panish asked if Briggs knows that MJ had assets with value. Briggs said yes. Panish asked if Briggs knows that MJ's asset, especially one, exceeded the amount of his debt. Briggs said he's concerned about confidentiality agreement in answering this question. Panish: You know, through your own knowledge, that MJ's assets far exceeded his debts when you wrote that on the sheet, don't you sir? (Judge gets mad with Strong for not stopping the objections, tells her to abide by her rulings. Strong continued, judge called a sidebar.) Briggs said he does not know that MJ had assets worth more than 300 or 400 or 500 million when he wrote his opinion . Briggs said he had knowledge of some of MJ's asset.(ABC7)

Panish: Did you value that asset (Sony's catalogue)?
Panish: It's well in excess of $500 million, isn't it, sir?
Briggs: I'm sorry I'm having a trouble here, but I don't want to disclose any confidential information. (ABC7)

There were three sidebars in the afternoon session, one of which was called after Strong repeatedly objected to a line of Panish's questions Panish asked Briggs whether he had done any work valuing Jackson's assets outside of the AEG case. He had, but he didn't want to answer who he had done the work for. He said the work was the subject of confidentiality agreements and he didn't want to violate them. Panish kept pressing for answers and Strong kept objecting, to the point that the judge told her, "Ms. Strong, I've made the ruling." Panish continued asking questions about Briggs' work on Jackson's assets outside of this case, and Strong objected. The judge told Strong again that she should stop objecting, that she'd overruled them. Strong kept talking, and the judge called a sidebar (AP)

Panish asked if the gross value Briggs put for the Sony catalogue is well in excess of the value of MJ's debt. "I don't remember the number," Briggs said. "I did not believe that's the case." Briggs: I believe the testimony the debt associated with Sony ATV catalogue was $400 million. Panish wants to know if the gross value of the catalogue was in excess of the debt. Briggs said no. Briggs said he performed the evaluation of Sony's catalogue many times, and his response was related to June 2009. Briggs said he was working with someone unrelated to this case regarding the value of the Sony catalogue. Briggs asked the judge to instruct him on what he should answer, since Panish wants to know who he was working w/ regarding the catalogue. (ABC7)

Panish: Do you have a conflict of interest in this case?
Briggs: No
P: Have you been clear about your company to testify?
B: Absolutely(ABC7)

Briggs said he's not comfortable disclosing the names of the companies that hired him before. Judge Yvette Palazuelos ordered him to answer. Briggs: In one particular case, a law firm hired us. It was in late 2009, after Michael Jackson had died. Panish asked if before MJ died if any law firm hired his company to assess MJ's assets. Briggs said he doesn't recall. Regarding this asset, the Sony ATV catalogue, Briggs said he worked on evaluating it between 5-10 times. Briggs said he provided his opinion in those engagements, 5 to 10 times, before MJ died, to 3 or 4 third parties. (ABC7)

Panish: Was one of them Sony?
Sony ATV Music Publishing was one of the companies, not Sony music, Briggs said.(ABC7)

Fortress Capital -- Briggs said it was another company. He recalls law firm and there may have been financial companies.
Panish: Goldman Sacks?
Briggs: It's possible, I work on hundreds of projects a year.
Panish: Goldman Sacks hired you regarding MJ, right sir?
Briggs: I don't recall specifically. (ABC7)

When the attorneys came back, Panish continued his questions about Briggs' other clients on Jackson issues. Briggs said he was still uncomfortable discussing the clients.The judge told him to answer the questions with a yes or no answer. There had to be another sidebar before Briggs told jury there had been 5 to 10 "engagements" in which he'd worked on Jackson assets. He said he delivered opinions to 3 or 4 different entities. One of them was Sony-ATV, the massive music catalog MJ has an interest in. Another was Michael Jackson's estate. Briggs said he discussed working on the AEG case with an estate attorney and was told it was OK. Briggs also said the general counsel of his company, FTI Consulting, approved him working as an expert in the AEG Live litigation. (AP)

Briggs never performed an audit for a record company. (ABC7)

Briggs said he watched the testimony of Meglen in the overflow room. He was accompanied by 3 AEG attorneys. (ABC7)

Panish asked if Briggs worked with MJ before being retained in this case. He said yes and that he discussed it with AEG. Briggs testified AEG didn't see the work done in previous engagements as conflict of interest. Briggs said that what was more important to him is what FTI's general counsel thought and they determined there was no conflict of interest. Briggs said he had engagement agreements with a number of entities related to MJ. “I went one step further and told them (AEG) I would not be discussing anything regarding my other work," Briggs said. Panish: Who did you call, have sign waiver in writing about a potential conflict of interest? Briggs said there wasn't anything in writing. "My recollection was the attorneys for the Estate of Michael Jackson," Briggs testified. He said a call took place, doesn't know who called. Briggs was retained on February 8, 2013. He spoke with Jeryll Cohen from MJ Estate and she okay'd him to testify as witness in this case. She was well aware what was going on and approved it. Briggs said he told her he had no interest in sharing the work done for the Estate. Briggs said he spoke with Cohen again about two months ago, and she acknowledged his work on this case. (ABC7)

Briggs receives a salary and bonus based on performance of the division. FTI is a public traded company. Briggs said he thinks the company was approaching $2 billion in revenues last year. (ABC7)

Panish asked Briggs about doing risk assessments, and whether he considered Conrad Murray a significant risk to Jackson's life. The question was based on an expert who testified at deposition that he would have been surprised if Michael Jackson lived another week given Murray's treatments on MJ.Briggs didn't want to say Murray was a risk to Jackson's life, or address medical risks. Briggs said he couldn't offer a medical opinion, but just considered the opinions of other medical experts in the case. Panish questioned whether having a "fit and competent" doctor would have lessened the risk to Jackson's life. Briggs didn't want to say yes. "That one risk would be removed," Briggs said about Murray if he was no longer MJ's doctor. He said other medical risks remained, though. Panish mentioned the coroner's report and testimony and specifically that they found no evidence of problems with Jackson's heart. (AP)

Briggs testified he saw testimony that MJ had one life week to live after June 25, 2009, the day of the artist's death. Panish said Dr. Shimelman testified MJ's life expectancy was one week based on Dr. Murray's treatment of him Briggs: I believe his statement was MJ's life expectancy was one week, and he was taking into effect a lot of things: Dr. Murray, drug use (ABC7)

Panish: Are you aware that IRS is investigating the people who hired you and undervalued Sony ATVcatalogue? Objection: Sustained (ABC7)

Dr. Earley said MJ was essentially playing Russian roulette in the way he was using drugs, Briggs said. Panish: Dr. Murray was a big risk to MJ's health, wasn't he? Briggs: I wasn't focused on the risk, I was focused on a doctor assessing a record after the fact. Panish asked if Dr. Murray was a risk to MJ's health. Briggs: It appears in determining his life expectancy Dr. Shimelman took in consideration Dr. Murray. Panish: If Dr. Murray isn't in the question, there's no risk, right, sir? Briggs: There are all kinds of risks, like risk of relapse, risk of the manner he's taking the drugs. Briggs: This is not my opinion, I'm not a doctor, I was relying on Dr. Shimelman's testimony (about one week to live). Briggs' note says Dr. Shimelman -- Die any night. Briggs: Dr. Earley said the way MJ was taking drugs was like playing Russian roulette. Panish: Isn't it true Dr. Earley never blamed MJ for his addiction? Briggs: That's what I recall from the testimony. Briggs: I was asked to assess forecast earnings, not blame. Briggs: To a lay person, Dr. Earley's testimony that MJ was playing Russian roulette is talking about life expectancy. Panish said Dr. Earley wasn't asked to opined on MJ's life expectancy. Briggs read Dr. Earley's deposition and that's what it reads. Briggs: Just to be clear, I can't assess anyone's life expectancy. (ABC7)

Briggs said he relied on AEG's attorney to give him all the relevant materials related to what he's been asked to opine. The expert said he didn't review MJ's autopsy report, since he has no ability to read it. Briggs said one of the experts he reviewed stated the normal actuary doesn't apply to MJ's life and behavior. Briggs relied on Dr. Earley's testimony. He was unable to give a life expectancy to MJ because he wasn't hired for that. Dr. Shimelman said if Dr. Murray remained in the picture, MJ would live only another week. Dr. Schnoll said MJ could've been treated by a fit and competent doctor and remove the risk. Briggs: Dr. Shimelman stated a life expectancy of one week, I don't know how someone could perform for 9 months. (ABC7)

Panish: AEG thought MJ could do 50 shows, didn't they, sir? Briggs: AEG had a plan for 50 shows, they had a budget for 50 shows, they were interested in doing 50 shows. (ABC7)

Panish asked who was more knowledgeable in concerts, if Briggs or Paul Gongaware. Briggs responded it depends which aspect of the business. (ABC7) Briggs has never worked as a concert promoter, and toward the end of his testimony Panish asked him if he knew more than Phillips, Gongaware. Briggs said he couldn't say who knew more about concert touring, promotion _ him, Phillips or Gongaware. (AP)

Panish: Did AEG ever hire you to see if the show would happen or not?
Brigss: AEG did not hire me before February of this year.
Briggs: If I were hired, I'd have told my opinion that it's speculative that the 9 months would have been completed. "It appeared they (AEG) believed the shows would've gone forward," Briggs testified. (ABC7)

Panish: Was AEG fraudulently selling tickets for the shows?
Briggs: I can't opine on that, I'm not an expert in fraud. (ABC7)

Panish asked if AEG only hired him 3 and half years after MJ was dead. Briggs said yes. Panish: Live Nation hired you to assess concert and feasibility? Briggs: No (ABC7)

melden

05.08.2013 um 11:42
Quelle: MJJC ~ Eintrag #63 ~ User: Ivy
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/129265-Katherine-Jackson-vs-AEG-Live-Daily-Trial-Testimony-Summary/page5

Jacksons vs AEG - Day 60 – July 31 2013 – Summary

Katherine and Trent Jackson was present in court.

Eric Briggs Testimony

Jackson cross

It was very slow going again today, with plaintiff’s attorney Brian Panish continuing to try to get more details about Briggs' work. Panish spent more than 25 minutes this morning trying to get more details on Briggs’ billing records. He didn’t get any more info. Briggs also continued to be very circumspect about what other work he’d done on valuing Jackson’s signature asset, the Sony ATV catalog. Outside the presence of the jury this afternoon, Judge Yvette Palazuelos allowed Panish to question Briggs about his connection to estate. Palazuelos also asked about the other entities Briggs had done work for analyzing Jackson’s assets. Briggs has done work for Goldman Sachs, the Fortress Investment Group and Jackson’s estate regarding the catalog. Panish has said repeatedly that Briggs’ calculations under-valued the catalog and that his mention of MJ’s debt in his testimony in the AEG case doesn’t take into account the Sony-ATV catalog’s actual value at the time Jackson died. Panish says estate attorney Howard Weitzman is going to come to court (probably tomorrow) and discuss whether Briggs can discuss his work. Briggs has said he cleared his work on the AEG case with another estate attorney, Jeryll Cohen. Panish says that’s not true. AEG’s lawyers say they aren’t blocking Briggs from answering the questions about his work with the estate, but he wants the judge to order him to answer. At a sidebar yesterday, AEG attorney Sabrina Strong said Briggs could be sued without the judge’s order. Briggs says his remarks about Jackson being deeply in debt are only tied to his opinion that MJ couldn’t have gotten endorsement deals. AEG’s attorneys did try to say that Panish’s questioning of Briggs on the debt issue was outside the scope of the case. Palazuelos disagreed. “We’ve got debt right smack in the middle of this opinion,” she said. Panish, who has said Briggs’ credibility is at issue and some of his testimony is false, will be able to explore the issue more. (AP)

Panish asked Briggs who he contacted at the Estate of Michael Jackson to waive potential conflict of interest. "I believe FTI checked for conflict of interest," Briggs said. He said he received a form and the conflict of interest check was marked. The expert said he doesn't know who made the call to the Estate, if it was him or his partner. Briggs: As far as I'm concerned, everything I've done for Estate and everything I've done on this matter have nothing to do with each other. Panish: Sir, did you testify you discussed the potential for a conflict of interest with AEG's attorneys? Briggs: I never viewed it as a potential conflict of interest, I don't think I characterized it that way. "I discussed my previous engagements with O'Melveny & Myers," Briggs said. Panish asked which lawyers Briggs discussed at OMM the potential for conflict of interest. He said Sabrina Strong and perhaps Jessica Bina. Panish asked if Briggs called Ms. Cohen to talk about the potential conflict of interest before his deposition. He said he doesn't recall. (ABC7)

Panish: Yesterday, you said you met with Ms. Cohen (attorney for the Estate), correct?
Panish: Did Ms. Cohen say to you she waived any potential conflict between you, FTI, and the Estate of Michael Jackson?
Briggs: Ms. Cohen did not say that
Panish: Did you ask Ms. Cohen to waive any potential conflict of interest?
Briggs: I did not ask her that specific question (ABC7)

Panish asked Briggs if he's produced his time records related to this case. He said he turned the subpoena to FTI's general counsel. Panish: Has any attorneys for AEG told you that the court issued an order to you to produce your time records forthwith (immediately? Briggs: No, my recollection is that the document was a subpoena. Panish tells Briggs there's a signed order to produce his time record in this case. Briggs asked to see it, since he doesn't have it. (ABC7)

Panish showed several bills from FTI for Briggs without itemization of the work done. They are for $55,000, $189,000, $123,000, $155,902. Panish points out there are two employees just out of school earning $350/hr. He asked where their time sheets were. "You'd expect someone working for that kind of money would produce records of what they worked on" Panish asked. Briggs said he doesn't know. Panish: Does your company check the time worked before submitting bill to a client? Briggs: I understand there's a check system in place, but I don't know how it works. Panish asked if Briggs' company has a billing department and itemization of work done. He said yes to first, doesn't know the second. Panish questioned Briggs, extensively, about all the bills FTI submitted and if he knew the specific work performed for each bill. Briggs said that in matters he bills clients by the hour, he's always charged $800 per hour. Other possibility is to charge flat fee. The expert clarified that he probably didn't charge $800/hour in the beginning of his career. (ABC7)

"My opinion is that it's speculative he would earn any money working," Briggs opined. (ABC7)
Panish: Your opinion is that MJ wouldn't earn a dime for future work?
Briggs: Yes, taking the consideration the risk factors we know today

Briggs: MJ's ability to secure endorsements from financial companies would be impacted by negative headlines associated with his debts. Panish asked if Pepsi, Nike, Red Bull, soft drink companies are financial companies. Briggs said no.(ABC7)

Panish asked Briggs if he was aware of anything that AEG did specifically to assess MJ's health. In his deposition, Briggs said he does not know anything specifically that AEG did to assess MJ's health. (ABC7)

Panish asked if Briggs included merchandising revenue in the chart he made. Briggs said Erk testified the numbers included merchandising. Briggs conceded he doesn't know independently whether the merchandising revenue is included in the numbers. (ABC7)

"I was absolutely comparing apples to apples," Briggs said.(ABC7)

Panish asked if U2 360 had 97,000 people at the Rose Bowl. Briggs said U2 was a 360 degree and they were able to fit a record crowd. Panish inquired about Meglen's testimony saying 97,000 people was not true. Briggs said he doesn't think that's what Meglen testified. (ABC7)

Chart:
1- U2 360 in 2009 -- 110 shows, $101, average 66K people
2- Rolling Stones -- 144 shows, $119, average 32K people
3- AC/DC -- 167 shows, $91, average 29K people
4- Madonna -- 85 shows, $115, average 42K people

MJ's HIStory tour averaged 55K people, average ticket was $37, which is one third of U2's ticket price. The last MJ show was about 10-12 years prior to U2. U2 averaged 66K people. Panish did this calculation: 55k (average of MJ's audience) x 186 shows (Gongaware's plan) x $108 (average TII ticket) = $1.1. billion. Panish: $108 ticket price times 55 thousand people times 186 shows, hows does that come out sir? Briggs: That is roughly $1.1 billion (ABC7)

Panish asked if there were drug use allegations regarding The Rolling Stones and AC/DC members. Briggs said yes, there were headlines about it. Panish asked if it was the same headlines Briggs referred to about Michael Jackson. Briggs said MJ's drug use he analyzed was based on testimony in this trial, not tabloid headlines. (ABC7)

Briggs: Yes, I think AEG wanted to go on a worldwide tour with Michael Jackson. Briggs agreed that AEG entered into a 3 year contract with Michael Jackson.
Panish: How many concerts did Gongaware estimated to do?
Briggs: In Sept 2008, prior to an agreement with MJ?
Panish: Yes
Briggs: 186 (ABC7)

Panish inquired if Dr. Shimelman testified that without Conrad Murray MJ would have had a normal life expectancy. Briggs: What he said is that he was not able to offer a statement with the doctor out of the picture and that is significant. Panish asked if Dr. Earley said MJ should no be to blame for his addiction. Briggs said yes, but said addicts should take responsibility (ABC7)

"There was wide spread media coverage, over the years, of MJ's drug usage," Briggs said.
Panish: You'd expect AEG, someone in the business, to know about MJ's drug use
Briggs: I'd generally expect they'd be aware of the headlines (ABC7)

Panish compared Briggs to an armchair quarterback after the fact, issuing opinion after the fact. Briggs: My opinion, of course, is more informed than the one made at the time (ABC7)

Panish: Did you know AEG paid a medical doctor to exam Michael Jackson, yes or no?
Briggs: No
Panish: Did you know AEG paid money to have Dr. Slavit to check Michael Jackson?
Briggs: I didn't have that specific knowledge

"There was a physical on MJ in the beginning of 2009," Briggs said. He added he doesn't know who hired the doctor and who paid him. Briggs said he recall reading about MJ getting a physical and that everything was fine. Briggs: My information is that the physical was passed and that there were no significant issues.

Panish: In your opinion that MJ wouldn't complete 50 shows, u didn't consider Dr Slavit?
Briggs: I don't know if I reviewed it prior to deposition
Panish: Were you aware coroner said MJ didn't have any medical problem at the time of his death that would've his life expectancy reduced?
Briggs: I don't recall that specific testimony, my knowledge is that the coroner's report was introduced through doctor testimony.
"My opinion is based after the facts, what we know today," Briggs testified. (ABC7)

Panish asked how many Dangerous shows were canceled. Briggs said in his opinion is between 3 to 10. He said he did research about it. Panish wanted to know why Briggs didn't bring the documents he relied on regarding the cancelation of the Dangerous tour. Panish asked the judge to admonish Briggs to answer the questions several times throughout the morning. When attorney asked the judge again, judge said: "I keep advising him, but..." . Briggs said in terms of actual dates, approximately 1.4% of the Dangerous shows were canceled. (ABC7)

Panish: How old were you in 1993?
Briggs: About 17-18 (ABC7)

Panish asked how many shows MJ performed in his career. Briggs said he doesn't know for sure, thinks it's 270 approximately. (ABC7)

Briggs said he cannot tell Panish what each specific bill means in terms of itemization of work done. Panish asked if there's any document detailing the time spent on the task and who did what regarding this case. Briggs: To my knowledge, that information does not exist. Panish wanted to know what type of time calculation software FTI uses. Briggs said he doesn't know. Briggs testified he doesn't know if his company has been paid or not. (ABC7)

Briggs reviewed Tom Barrack's testimony. Panish asked if Barrack said if MJ wanted to he could earn $500 million a year. Briggs said no. Barrack runs Colony Capital, an investment company. It's a multi-billion dollar entity. Panish showed deposition of Barrack with interview saying MJ was a guy who could make $500 million a year if he put his head to it.
Panish: Barrack wanted to invest in Mr. Jackson and do work with him in the future, right, sir?
Briggs: Yes (ABC7)

Panish: Government has stated one MJ asset is worth twice his debt, isn't it, sir?
Briggs: The only information I have in that respect is from attorneys of the Estate of Michael Jackson and I'm concerned w/ confidentiality
Panish: You' are well aware the value of one asset is doubled any debt he had, isn't that, sir?
Briggs: The only information I received in this regard came from lawyers of the Estate of Michael Jackson.

Briggs: They hired us to perform work related to Sony ATV catalogue as of the date of MJ's death. Panish argues there's no attorney-client privilege,and Briggs should be ordered to answer. Briggs said he only learned about what he knows of what the government claims regarding Sony ATV catalogue from the Estate. Judge and attorneys extensively argued whether Briggs has attorney-client privilege with the Estate of Michael Jackson. Judge to the jurors: Now you know what we do in chambers. That's the stuff we argue about. (ABC7)

Panish asked if MJ paid for Katherine Jackson's bills and expenses. Briggs said he doesn't recall the specific comments. Panish asked if MJ bought his mother a $500,000 motorhome. Briggs said he doesn't recall. Panish wanted to know if Briggs reviewed all the relevant documents in this case. He said the attorneys gave him documents, he asked others (ABC7)

Briggs identified 3 primary risks:
- Health/medical experts
- Projects falling through/cancellations
- Industry/precedent

Panish asked where Dr. Murray was in the risk. Briggs said he did not take Dr. Murray into account. (ABC7)

Panish: What's Madonna's cancellation rate?
Briggs: I don't know (ABC7)

Panish mentioned U2 canceled shows for Bono's back surgery, Madonna canceled show to be with her family, Guns N'Roses canceled and returned. Panish asked about Eric Clapton and Van Halen's cancellation of shows. Briggs doesn't recall how many were canceled. Panish said Briggs got his information from articles out of the internet. (ABC7)

Panish: All of these information, someone in 6th grade would be able to get the same exact information off the internet, correct, sir?
Briggs: They may have the same information but the interpretation is absolutely different.
Panish: Are you saying all these people are risks and no one should do business with them?
Briggs: I didn't say that (ABC7)

Panish asked how many shows AEG does in a year. Briggs said he doesn't know. Briggs estimated hundreds, perhaps thousands shows happen in a year around the world. (ABC7)

Panish: Did you take in consideration Randy Phillips and Dr. Murray had shared responsibility to get MJ into rehearsal? Briggs didn't recall. Panish showed email saying Phillips and Dr. Murray were responsible for getting MJ to rehearsal. Briggs said he doesn't recall it.(ABC7)

Briggs said that sometimes his clients don't follow their advice. "Our advice is not always right," the expert said. "The truth of my opinion has nothing to do with how much we're being paid in this case," Briggs testified. Panish asked what specific work Matthew did. Briggs said he researched cities Erk said concerts would take place, audience capacity, arenas. In deposition, an attorney asked Briggs if he performed specific calculation to demand in India for a MJ show in 2009-2012. Briggs said he did not nor was he aware of any material to enable them to make projections about India. (ABC7)

Panish: Do you agree Mj could have toured?
Briggs: Had he lived, it's possible
Panish: Could Mr. Jackson make movies?
Panish: Could he have acted in movies?
Briggs: It's possible, sure
Panish: How much actors get paid for good movies?
Briggs: It vary from a few million to many millions of dollars
Panish: MJ could have made records?
Briggs: Yes, it's possible
Panish: Could he have done tours?
Panish: Could he have been involved in movies?
Panish: Could he have gotten endorsements?
Panish: Could he have sold merchandise?
Briggs: To the extent the shows happened, it's possible
Panish: Could he have done a residency shows in Las Vegas?
Briggs: It's possible
Panish: Did you look into MJ having a residency show with Celine Dion?
Briggs: I'm not aware of that
Panish: Did Ortega testify he discussed with MJ going on a worldwide tour and going to India?
Briggs: I don't recall that in trial testimony (ABC7)

Katherine Jackson stated that Michael Jackson didn't want to be moonwalking at 50 years old, Briggs said. Panish asked if Ortega testified that he wanted to do films with MJ and wanted to be involved in anything Jackson related. Briggs said yes. Panish inquired if Taj Jackson also testified about MJ wanting to do movies. Briggs answered yes. (ABC7)

Panish asked about album "Thriller 25" released in 2006 or 2007. Briggs said he concentrated on MJ's brand new albums in his chart. "I would describe it (Thriller 25) as successful re-release," Briggs said. (ABC7)

Panish asked how many people "Q" score company surveys. Briggs said he thinks they measure about 1800 people. Panish said it's 1400. Briggs said the "Q" scores measure people in the US. Panish asked if it were measured around the world. Briggs said there wasn't available. Panish: All you have is 1800 people surveyed across the United States? Briggs: That's correct . "The "Q" score was not relevant to ticket sales" Briggs said. Panish asked how the ticket sales went in London. Briggs responded "very well" (ABC7)

Panish: Mr. Gongaware had no concern that Mr. Jackson could do 50 shows, correct?
Briggs: With the information he had, it appeared that way (ABC7)

-----------------

Outside the presence of the jury, attorneys and judge discussed about what Briggs recalls regarding Gongaware's testimony. Judge: It seems like he doesn't recall, or doesn't want to recall, the testimony. Panish: The IRS has called into question what this witness is trying to say. The Estate never gave witness waiver to testify in this case. Panish: He never had permission, never had waiver. I believe the true facts will show he didn't contact Ms. Cohen until after his deposition Panish: There's no privilege regarding the value of ATV catalogue being double the amount of MJ's debts. Panish: His credibility is seriously at issue here, there's no privilege whatsoever. Bina: Briggs said he believes debt aspect would make MJ not appealable to endorsements. Bina: Ackerman has analyzed in great detail MJ's spending, debt. She said her understanding that conflict of interest has been waived. Bina: The government and his company may have a different understanding as to the catalogue value. Judge: What kind of investigation is that? Putnam: We don't know, we can't ask. Bina: There's no conflict of interest. Besides that, Erk didn't consider the ATV catalogue value and debts. Panish: They want to show he was destitute and had not money.That's not true, he could've spent money for 30 years and still not be in debt. Bina: He cleared the engagement for work on this case, not the debt. Judge: It sounds pretty suspicious to me. Bina: It doesn't matter whether MJ was in debt (for endorsement), but the negative perception he was in debt was sufficient. Boyle: He said that the value of the ATV catalogue was less than the debt. And that's not true. He knows it's not true. Boyle: According to the IRS, it's much higher than the debt. Judge: I don't understand him claiming privilege as to what the IRS says the value of the catalogue is. (ABC7)

Panish asked if Briggs has done extensive work regarding the value of Sony ATV catalogue. Briggs said yes, for Goldman Sachs; Sony ATV, not corporate; Fortress Capital; Estate of MJ; Law firm in 2007. Briggs said it's all in connection with the evaluation of Sony ATV catalogue. The expert said he gets rehired some times. Briggs has given valuation opinions in writing, which is easily accessible. Briggs: The work was performed after MJ's death, but the valuation is of date of death. (ABC7)

Panish: You don't consider IRS putting into question your work a major problem?
Briggs: IRS review about valuation is very commonplace, specially in large estates. (ABC7)

Judge: It sounds like you have info not subject to privilege, with other companies that ordered the valuation. Panish: He put a very low value on the catalogue and said it is less than MJ's debts, when the IRS valued it twice. Panish said the value ranges from a billion to 8 billion dollars. He knows the IRS has given much higher value, the attorney argued. Perry Sanders: the other side could stipulate there's another valuation that says the Sony catalogue is almost 2 times the debt. Bina: The problem is that we don't know the answer, we don't know that to be true. (ABC7)

Panish asked if Briggs has been subpoenaed by IRS. He said he's not aware.

Briggs: I understand the IRS is in discussions with the Estate. (ABC7)

Judge said to get the Estate lawyer in court to see if there's a waiver. Panish: If Briggs said something that's not true, it goes against his credibility. Bina said MJ' business manager said MJ had no ability to borrow money and had no money at time of death Panish: That's not true! He didn't know how much catalogue was worth, had $6 million in an account that Tohme was holding, so he had money. Jury then entered the courtroom. Testimony resumed. (ABC7)

------------------------------

Panish asked Briggs if he knows the average ticket price for MJ's show was $108. He said it's approximately right. (ABC7)

John Branca is a prominent entertainment attorney. Briggs said he was brought back around the time MJ died. Briggs doesn't recall Branca saying he believes MJ could have done the 50 shows. Panish asked if Briggs noted anything positive that Branca said regarding MJ's ability to make money. He said he doesn't believe he did. (ABC7)

Panish: All you remember is the things that were against MJ?
Briggs: My opinion is not against MJ.(ABC7)

Briggs: The positive I knew quite well, so there's no notes to that, the positives were apparent. Briggs said the points in his outline is to support his opinion, since the positive things he already knew about. (ABC7)

Briggs said he reviewed Shawn Trell's trial testimony of 4 days but does not recall anything he said that was relevant to his opinion. Briggs said the figures below are for ticket sales and merchandising: Prod 1 -- $94 million, Prod 2 -- $107 million. Briggs said there's a non-appearance insurance on the budget. Lloyds of London charged $450,000 for the premium. Panish: How much did the pay out was? Briggs: I have no idea (ABC7)

melden

05.08.2013 um 11:50
Quelle: MJJC ~ Eintrag #64 ~ User: Ivy

Jacksons vs AEG - Day 61 – August 1 2013 – Summary

Katherine Jackson was present in court.

(source: ABC7 unless otherwise indicated)

Eric Briggs Testimony

Jackson cross

Panish asked if independent appraiser hired by the IRS valued Sony ATV catalogue between 100 and 300 million. Briggs said "that's correct." Panish: And that Mr. Jackson had more assets, this was just one of them and it was valued 100 to 300 million in excess to the debt, correct? Briggs: I understand there were other assets. Panish said MJ had his own music catalogue, in addition to the other assets. Briggs agreed. The value was just for the Sony ATV catalogue.

Panish showed a chart with MJ's "Net" Earnings from Tours. Briggs said he relied on Paul Gongaware's statement saying "Dangerous" lost money. Panish said Gongaware is one of the defendants in this case. Briggs said he relied on his testimony. Panish: You'd expect he would know what was going on, right, sir? Briggs: I'd expect he had information that supported that statement. Panish asked what was Gongaware's involvement in "Dangerous" tour. Briggs said he believed he was involved in the production of the show.

Panish: Did Mr. Gongaware deal with the artist in the tour?
Briggs: They are dealing with many different factors, including the artist, MJ.
Briggs: I understood he was involved in the production of the show and had knowledge to make that statement.
Panish: Did you know MJ went into rehabilitation?
Briggs: I know he ended the tour and entered a rehabilitation.

Briggs said he cannot speak to specific knowledge of what Gongaware had. The expert said Gongaware made it very clear the tour lost money. Panish: Just a fact that he made the statement was good enough for you to rely on? Briggs: I did not check the veracity of the information. I relied exclusively on his statement.

Panish: How do you know "HIStory" broke even?
Briggs: I relied on Paul Gongaware's statement.
Panish: Did he give it to orphanages in India during that tour?
Briggs: I don't recall that specifically.

Panish asked if Briggs knew how much money MJ donated to charity from that tour. He said he doesn't know. "My recollection was non-profit organization established and there were conflicting headlines as to what was going in entity," Briggs said. Briggs doesn't know how much money MJ donated from the "HIStory" tour.

Panish spent about an hour on his cross-examination, challenging other aspects of consultant Eric Briggs’ testimony. Regarding a slide that Briggs prepared that showed Jackson’s Dangerous tour lost money, Briggs said it was based on Gongaware’s testimony. Panish asked whether Briggs did any other research on earnings for the Dangerous tour. The consultant said no. The slide states the HIStory tour broke even, which Briggs also based on AEG exec Paul Gongaware’s testimony. Panish asked whether Briggs looked into the millions that Jackson donated to charities during that tour. Briggs said he read news stories. Briggs said he saw conflicting headlines about where the donations went, and he couldn’t recall how much the stories said Jackson donated. (AP)

Briggs said he met Gongaware at the AEG's lawyers office.
Panish: Where you there meeting with the lawyers?

No one told Briggs that he shouldn't ask Gongaware questions. Panish asked if he spoke with Gongaware about this case. Briggs: Our discussion was very high level, we spoke about the industry, friends in the industry, generic subjects.

"It was speculative whether the world tour would happen," Briggs said. Panish asked if mattered that there was no agreement beyond the 50 shows, since w/ agreement, it would be speculative in his opinion anyway. Briggs: I disagree with your logic, the lack of agreement supports my opinion that it is speculative that the world tour would happen. Briggs said MJ's history of drug use, long-term effects, and that he was taking drugs in a very dangerous way shortened his life expectancy. Panish asked what "great prognosis" is. Briggs said it means that someone is partaking in actions that's very dangerous. Briggs testify Dr. Earley said MJ's drug use was like playing Russian roulette.

Panish: Who put the bullets in the gun?
Briggs: I believe he said it wasn't an appropriate question.
Panish: The witness wants to argue with me and not answer the quesitons.
Judge: He's answering the questions.

Panish asked what was MJ's cancellation rate for shows. Briggs said he doesn't know for certain. Performance risk is whether people would come 2 the show, Briggs said. Panish asked if there was any question people would show for TII tour. Briggs said no, that there was testimony they could've done at least 100 more shows based on demand.

"This It It" tour:
Panish: Was there a plan to do O2 shows?
P: Was there an audience?
B: Certainly
P: Was there finance?
B: Yes
Panish: So all the factors were met for the O2 shows?

World tour:
Panish: Was there ever a plan, in writing, from Gongaware for world tour?
Briggs: If you're referencing the Sept. 2008 plan, yes

The proposal reflected 186 shows, Briggs said. "It appears, based on exhibits I reviewed, that proposal was sent to Mr. Anschutz." Briggs said he recalls Gongaware testifying they wanted to go on a world tour after O2 shows. Panish asked if Briggs reviewed MJ's lawyer, Dennis Hawk, testimony that MJ was planning to go to Asia on tour. He said yes.

Panish: Do you recall Mr. Hawk testified that MJ would get $400 million?
Briggs: Tried to, yes, that's what he hoped.

"He described that as his hope, yes," Briggs said. "He described as hope, not intention." Panish asked if Hawk testified he had no doubts MJ would complete the shows successfully. Briggs said the word successfully was in the question, and that Hawk answer "no, I have no doubts." Regarding Kenny Ortega, Panish asked if MJ told Ortega that they were going on a world tour, asked 'Have you ever been to India, you must.' And MJ continue to tell Ortega that after completing the O2 he wanted to take the show back out and around the world. "Whatever you're doing, you have to come to India' MJ told Ortega and then he said 'Have you ever been to Japan?' Ortega testified that after that, MJ was going to hang his hat up as touring artist and wanted to transition to do movies. Panish: After the world tour, sir, isn't that true? Briggs: I don't recall the sequence of events . Panish showed Ortega's deposition.
Panish: Your interpretation of Ortega's deposition is that he's not going on tour?
Briggs: He states here very clearly he had hopes.

"That someone hopes that something is going to happen it doesn't indicate it will happen," Briggs said. Panish asked if Briggs saw Paris' testimony that they were going on world tour. "I believe I considered her testimony, but her testimony was not a foundation or basis for my opinion," Briggs testified. "I understand Mr. Gongaware expressed same intention, and I relied on that," Briggs explained. Briggs said Gongaware had intentions based on what he knew then, not now.

The consultant stuck to his core opinion, that projections of Jackson’s earnings or the idea he’d complete a world tour were speculative. To combat that, Panish showed Briggs testimony from “This Is It” Director Kenny Ortega and Paris Jackson. They discussed the world tour. Both Ortega and Paris Jackson in their depositions discussed MJ's plans to go on a world tour after completing the London shows. Briggs was also shown deposition testimony by MJ’s attorney, Dennis Hawk, stating he tried to structure a world tour deal so that Jackson would earn $400 million if he completed the shows. Briggs agreed that was Hawk’s testimony, but said world tour was a ‘hope.’ (AP)

Panish then showed a slide with the 4 highest-grossing concert tours of all time. U2 topped the list. Panish then walked Briggs through the math if Jackson did as many shows as U2 or Madonna, had an average ticket price of $108 and sold merchandise equal to 7.5% of the tour’s earnings. The results showed that an MJ tour would have earned more than $1 billion. The ranges went as high as $1.6 billion with merchandise and ticket sales factored in, very similar to projections by the plaintiff’s expert. Briggs was dismissive of the exercise, saying it was a “math problem.” (AP)

Briggs testified the range for merchandise is 5-15%. The budget had approximately 7-8% of total revenue tour in merchandise. Panish's calculation: 186 shows x 55,000 people x $108 ticket = $1.1 billion x 7.5% merchandise = approximately $1.2 billion total.

Judge: Mr. Panish, why are you gesturing me?
Panish: Ms. Strong is making faces at me, I didn't want to say anything.
Jurors groaned...
Strong: There has been many misrepresentations against me and my colleagues.
Judge: I don't think making faces is something I should even have to acknowledge it. Just ignore it.

Panish concluded his cross examination

AEG redirect

Sabrina Strong did re-direct. Sony ATV catalogue contains Eagles music in and countless others, Briggs explained. "I performed significant amount of work regarding Sony ATV catalogue over the last 5-10 years," the expert said. Michael Jackson and Sony corporation own the catalogue 50/50 each.

Strong: Why were you so uncomfortable answering the questions regarding the Sony ATV catalogue?
Briggs: Because I am under confidentiality agreement with various companies I worked for related to valuation of Sony catalogue.

Briggs said he takes the confidentiality agreement very seriously and didn't want to violate them. During deposition, Briggs said he told Jacksons' attorneys that he would not disclose the value of the catalogue to any of the sides. Strong: You're not here as expert to talk about Sony catalogue? Briggs: That's correct, it had nothing to do with the conclusions of my work.

Briggs: We project future income from songs, assess that income to figure out how much the catalogue was worth. Briggs performed work for Sony ATV, various lenders and investors, like Fortress Capital, and the Estate of Michael Jackson. Briggs said he has a confidentiality agreement with the Estate of Michael Jackson and other companies he worked for. Briggs said he cannot disclose any information regarding the catalogue unless directed by the court.

Strong: At the instruction of the judge, you told us values of Sony catalogue, right?
Briggs: Yes.

Strong asked when MJ Estate attys hired him to evaluate the catalogue. Briggs said the work was done in 2010 for the value as of MJ's death. The evaluation was done based in the piece that belonged to Michael Jackson, which is 50%, Briggs said. Strong: What did you value the catalogue?

There was an objection, since he didn't answer that before. Kevin Boyle: IRS valuation for MJ's part of the catalogue was in excess of MJ's debt by range of $100-300 million. Testimony is that MJ's debt was $400 million plus range= $500-700 million for MJ's part alone, about $1.4 billion for entire catalogue.

Strong: And your valuation was less than the debt?
Briggs: That's correct.
Briggs said his valuation was roughly in line with what MJ owed. Briggs knows who the person doing the appraisal for the IRS is.
Strong: Do you believe you undervalued the catalogue at the date of debt?
Briggs: Absolutely not.

Briggs said his firm always used the same techniques to assess risk, and his valuation was used in loans and plans. Briggs said people were listening and transacting based on his numbers.

Boyle: The witness has no problem of breaching the confidentiality when Ms. Strong is asking the question. Judge: He's not breaching it, he's looking at me for instruction. If I say he needs to answer, he needs to answer.

Strong: Why there may be a difference in your valuation and the IRS? Briggs said there are many reasons, two significant. One of which has to do with subject of control, Briggs said. If one party can control a business their share is worth more. Briggs: If there's a party that doesn't have control, they have to sit there as victims. It's how you interpret control. Briggs said the other is limitation on selling/monetizing. If someone owns part of something, entered into rules, it's not worth fair share. Because you're restricted, you can't do things freely, Briggs said. That's the difference between his valuation and IRS' valuation. Strong: MJ had control issues? Briggs: Generally speaking, yes. Briggs: MJ had limitation to sell or borrow against it. His ability to sell it brings the value down. Strong said there were testimony that MJ was no longer able to borrow against that asset. Is that consistent? Briggs said a number of business managers made reference of MJ's financial situation. "I do not believe I undervalued that asset," Briggs testified.
Strong asked about conflict of interest in this case. Briggs said he participated in the process of checking whether a conflict existed. Strong: There's no conflict because that work was not related to this work? Briggs: My specific opinion in projecting income for MJ had he lived, what he would've earned. Briggs: Everything regarding the catalogue had nothing to do with MJ's ability to make money working. Briggs said Sony ATV catalogue has the Beatles songs in it, Willie Nelson, others. It's an investment, doesn't even have MJ's music in it.

As using debt as factor in his opinion, Briggs said he meant it in relation to endorsements. The perception that MJ had debts could infringe his ability to, for example, go to Citibank, ask money for the tour, Briggs said. Briggs: The unfortunate perception in the media, it had nothing to do whether he did it or not. Strong asked why Briggs mentioned the molestation trial if MJ had been acquitted. "Because we live in a world, unfortunately, that headlines created a perception. And that hurts endorsement deals," Briggs said.

Michael LaPerruque Testimony

AEG direct

After lunch, AEG called their next witness out of order, Michael LaPerruque. He is unavailable at other times.

Atty Marvin Putnam did the questioning. He asked if LaPerruque met with attorneys from defense and plaintiff prior to testimony. He said yes

Putnam: Are you rooting for either side?
LaPerruque: No, I'm not rooting for any side

LaPerruque: I'm a security specialist, provide security for high profile people, celebrities, estate. I worked for Michael and Janet Jackson. MJ hired LaPerruque 5-10 times in the Summer of 2001. He was hired full time in December 2001 and was under employment until 2004. First full time gig in private security was in December 2001. He was with the Sheriff's Department prior to that for 22 1/2 years. Putnam asked if LaPerruque was trained to identify people intoxicated. He said yes, he attended drug intoxication courses.
Earlier in the summer/01, while still at the Sheriff's Dept, LaPerruque said man with MJ security asked for help at the Universal Hilton. LaPerruque stayed at the Universal Hilton, there was a room for him. MJ and the children, nanny, personal security team were there as well. The nanny would call him if they needed anything for MJ or the children. MJ was shooting short film at the lot, so LaPerruque was asked to provide security some times.

He went with MJ to NY to provide security at 30th anniversary of Madison Square Garden. In December 2001, LaPerruque was asked to be full time and head the security of Michael Jackson. For the NY trip, LaPerruque used vacation.

Putnam: Is it fair to say you quit your job with the Sheriff's Department to work for Michael Jackson?
LaPerruque: I retired.

LaPerruque was in charge of Mr. Jackson's protection and the protection of his children. He consulted regarding Neverland security. LaPerruque: Anytime MJ stepped out of the property for extended period, going to LA or around the world, I was activated to accompany him. LaPerruque never lived at Neverland Ranch.

Putnam: Was there a period of time he was with a doctor on a daily basis?
LaPerruque: Yes

LaPerruque: He would have a physician present, also when we would go out and were staying somewhere he'd have me call a physician. LaPerruque: We would get to a hotel and he would ask me to get the hotel physician. LaPerruque: I would go down to the concierge and ask if they had doctors they work with and get recommendation. LaPerruque would call the doctor. He said MJ complained about back pains, but he didn't ask every single time what the complaint was. "It became commonplace to have a physician ready upon arrivals at hotels," LaPerruque said. LaPerruque testified he learned the client's needs and after been asked many times to find hotel doctor he understood it was part of his job. If doctor came along, it would be someone Mr. Jackson knew and they would have a hotel room. LaPerruque did not help find those doctors.

Putnam: From Dec. 2001 to 2004, did you believe Mr. Jackson was under the influence of drugs?

LaPerruque said there were 3 times he was at a hotel and got a phone call in the middle of the night. "His speech would be very slurred, it would be a lot of mumbling, wouldn't understand him sometimes," LaPerruque described. The security head said he would be asked to go to MJ's room, he had a key. "I would go to his room to make sure he was ok," LaPerruque said. "We would be in the room and he seemed to have a hard time," he said.

Putnam: Did he speak in an incoherent manner?

"It's just slurred speech, sort of mumbling," LaPerruque said. He would be sleeping when MJ called.

Putnam: How many times did you go to his room?
LaPerruque: Through the course of employment, probably 10 to 15 times.

Another 10 to 15 times, he wasn't asked to go to MJ's room, LaPerruque said. Total would be between 20 and 30 times.

LaPerruque: He wouldn't be very coherent, slurred speech, trying to fall asleep, incomprehensible. LaPerruque: He asked questions about the next day's schedule, asked questions over and over. "I knew he had unusual sleep patterns," LaPerruque said. "I think he was just lonely and wanted somebody to talk to."

Putnam asked what made LaPerruque think he was under the influence of drugs. LaPerruque: Because the objective symptoms he was displaying, slurred speech, nod. "I never performed any tests but the symptoms he was displaying were consistent with being under the influence," LaPerruque testified.

LaPerruque spoke with Dr Slavitch from San Francisco. He said he became worried about MJ due to numerous times he saw MJ under the influence. "I was worried about his health," LaPerruque testified. He also spoke with Grace Rwamba, MJ's children nanny at the time, about his concerns and Dr. Alimorad "Alex" Farshchian in Miami, Florida. He was one of the physicians that traveled with MJ, LaPerruque said, probably chosen by MJ. The relationship between Dr. Farshchian and MJ was already established when LaPerruque began working for the artist. LaPerruque spoke with Dr. Slavitch, Dr. Farshchian and Grace Rwamba about his concerns with MJ.

Putnam: What were you concerned?
LaPerruque: Just his general health, it seemed the frequency of the intoxication to be more occurring

LaPerruque said his job was not only to protect MJ from fans or outside causes, but "I took it upon myself to take care of Mr. Jackson." LaPerruque: I knew they (the doctors) would be treating Mr. Jackson and wanted them to have a clear picture going in. Putnam asked if LaPerruque spoke with MJ's family members or business associates. "I didn't believe it was my place to do that," he said.

LaPerruque: Few times in the middle of the day I'd go into his room and he'd be displaying signs of being under the influence. LaPerruque: Any kind of emails and phone calls came to me. I'd relay the message to him, would go to his room to slip a note under the door. LaPerruque: Mr. Jackson had propensity of losing his cell phone. I think I counted he lost 27 cell phones (jury laughs). People were given LaPerruque's cell number and would leave him messages for Michael. LaPerruque'd knock on MJ's door, escort him to the room meeting would take place. He'd wait outside the door and escort MJ back to the room. LaPerruque: In rare occasions, there were times he seemed to be under the influence of drugs in meetings, had to be taken back to his room. "He had slurred speech, incoherent, looked like he was going unconscious," LaPerruque said. LaPerruque: I'd take him back to his room and make sure he was okay. I would seat there and make sure that he was breathing.

Putnam: Why did you do that, sir?
LaPerruque: It was part of my job.

LaPerruque said speaking with MJ about it would be crossing the line. Even though he developed close relationship, needed to have a distance. LaPerruque: There are some professional lines you don't cross and I think it was not my place.

Michael La Perruque said he occasionally went into the singer's hotel room to make sure he was breathing and would often find doctors to treat the pop superstar when he traveled. La Perruque retired from his job as a sheriff's deputy in 2001 to work as the head of Jackson's security detail and frequently traveled with him until 2004. (AP)

Putnam: Did you like Mr. Jackson?
LaPerruque: Very much!

Putnam: Was there a time you didn't like Mr. Jackson? LaPerruque said they had some issues related to workload and work schedule, but for the most part it was a pleasure to work with Mr. Jackson

LaPerruque: I believe he knew that I knew what was going. To bring up that conversation would put him on defensive, have barriers between us. "I wanted to be close to him, to protect him, to watch him," LaPerruque testified. LaPerruque: He knew I was there, he knew I saw him. There were times he fought very, very hard not to be dependent of those medications. "He fought very hard to not be dependent on prescription medication," LaPerruque testified.

La Perruque said he spoke to two of Jackson's doctors about his concerns about the singer's prescription drug use, but that he never spoke directly about it to the singer because he didn't want him to become defensive. "It was my concern that he may overdose," he said. He said he knew Jackson had severe back pain and difficulty sleeping. Despite seeing the entertainer impaired, La Perruque said he never saw Jackson take any drugs or saw any signs of medications lying around. Jackson did try to get help, he said. "He fought very hard to be sober," La Perruque said. "He fought very hard not to be dependent on these prescription medications." Jackson however kept members of his family away because he knew they were trying to stage an intervention, he said. He told jurors that Jackson's younger brother Randy arrived at Neverland Ranch one day in a helicopter to speak with his brother about his medication usage. La Perruque said he turned him away. He said Jackson called him in the middle of the night between 20 and 30 times in the early 2000s and was often mumbling and incoherent. Half those times La Perruque said he went to the singer's room to check on him, and they would start talking."I think he was just lonely," La Perruque said. "He wanted somebody to talk to." (AP)

One day, LaPerruque said MJ told him he was clean. 'I just want you to know I'm going to stay this way,' LaPerruque said MJ told him. LaPerruque understood that MJ was working hard to battle the prescription medication dependency. "He would have the doctors treating him to get him off the harder narcotics," LaPerruque said. Putnam asked how he knew and he said he'd have discussions with the doctors and they would tell him.

Putnam: Where you concern it could cause overdose?
LaPerruque: Yes.

LaPerruque said that when he was with the sheriff's department he saw a number of people overdose and taken to emergency room. "It was my concern he would overdose," LaPerruque testified. LaPerruque never saw MJ do drugs or take prescription medication. He did see open wine bottles in his room. The security head said he never saw, anywhere, prescription drugs in MJ's hotel room or at Neverland.

LaPerruque went a couple of times with MJ and his children to Disney World in Florida. There was a medical emergency once in 2001 or 2002. They were staying at a Disney hotel. LaPerruque doesn't think a doctor traveled along. He stayed in a different room from MJ and kids. LaPerruque: I was in my room, received phone call from hotel security that someone had called 911 from MJ's hotel room, like young children. LaPerruque said they would check in under assumed name. Room service would come to him and he would take it to MJ's room. LaPerruque would set up times to have MJ's room cleaned. LaPerruque: I grabbed Mr. Jackson's keys and found Prince and Paris crying. They were crying saying they couldn't wake up daddy. LaPerruque: I was able to go into the room, had called security partner to meet at the room as well to take the two children to nanny's room. LaPerruque: I found Mr. Jackson in the hallway in the suite proned, unconscious. LaPerruque: I had to check for pulse, turned him over, shook him, ultimately was breathing. I was able to wake him up, took him to his room.

Putnam: Did you have to do mouth-to-mouth?
LaPerruque: I did
P: Did you see any drugs?
LP: No
P: Alcohol?
LP: Not that I recall

"He became conscious, I wouldn't say alert, but conscious," LaPerruque said. Putnam asked if he was groggy. He said yes. LaPerruque tried to cancel paramedics, but they were arriving. He told them he found MJ and paramedics said they had to check him anyway. LaPerruque: He was cleared, they told me he had to see a physician. LaPerruque asked the paramedics to put on their report the name he checked himself under, not MJ name. LaPerruque: Just to make sure that was no further embarrassment on Mr. Jackson's part. LaPerruque said they left shortly thereafter. "I was just told we were gonna leave." LaPerruque never discussed this incident with MJ.

Putnam: Did he ever thank you for coming over and helping him?
LaPerruque: No
P: Did anyone thank you?
Putnam: Why didn't you talk to Mr. Jackson about it?
LaPerruque: Because I didn't think it was my place.

La Perruque said the singer's children called 911 during a trip to Florida in 2001 or 2002 after their father collapsed in a hallway in a hotel suite at Walt Disney World. He said he found Jackson unconscious, revived him before paramedics arrived and never saw any signs of drugs or alcohol that the singer may have taken. Paramedics checked out the singer and determined he didn't need further medical attention, La Perruque said. (AP)

LaPerruque would take MJ to doctors appointments, normally in Beverly Hills. He'd call building security alerting they were on the way.

Putnam: Did you speak with anyone about that incident before?
P: Did you ever consider letting the tabloids know?
Putnam: Did you consider you could've made a lot of money?
P: Why?
LP: Because I had a commitment to Michael Jackson.

The first time LaPerruque told anyone about this incident was in his deposition. Today in court was the second time.

Putnam: Did you ever understand MJ had surgical procedure implant to help him get off of drugs? LaPerruque did not see any scarring regarding an implant. He was told by a physician, and judge didn't let him continue since it's hearsay.

LaPerruque remembers in 2001 Jackson family attempting an intervention. MJ asked him to come up to the ranch right away. LaPerruque: He told me that his family would be coming over to the ranch to speak with him and asked me to interface with his relatives. "It was requested by Mr. Jackson," LaPerruque said.

Putnam: He wanted to make sure his family members didn't come thru?

LaPerruque: I was at the front gate, saw private helicopter flying very low over Neverland. Randy Jackson was in the helicopter. "He demanded to see Michael," LaPerruque recalled. "I told him that MJ said he didn't want to see any of his family members at the time."

LaPerruque said Michael told him he had trouble sleeping. LaPerruque: He was trying to find something that would help him sleep. LaPerruque: There was one occasion I took him the doctor and I assumed he was there to see if he could find anything to help him sleep.

Putnam: Did you have any understanding MJ was taking Propofol?
LaPerruque never discussed using Propofol with MJ.
Putnam: Did you ever have an impression Mr. Jackson was trying to hide drugs from you?
LaPerruque: No.
"I never saw him swallow a pill, never saw him take injections," LaPerruque testified.

LaPerruque said there were two reasons he stopped working for MJ. First, he had two young children and at the service of MJ you work at his pleasure, you never had set schedule. LaPerruque: I was never home, I missed a lot my children, birthdays, holidays. He said he saw MJ's litigation with the Arvizo family (molestation accusation), had been in court before and knew how demanding it was. LaPerruque: He and I had discussed me taking some time off. LaPerruque said the other reason was the revenue stream, which was harder and harder, and financial matters were becoming an issue. LaPerruque took other jobs. He became in charge for the security of LA Times printing plants and security of corporate office. He also worked on internal investigations, security of journalists working on hostile environment in Iraq.

In 2007, LaPerruque went back to work for Michael Jackson. He was still the head of security of the LA Times. Grace Rwamba called LaPerruque and said she wanted to meet him, had a message from Michael Jackson. LaPerruque: MJ always appreciated my loyalty, best security he ever had, asked me to return to work for him. "He kind of grew on me," LaPerruque explained. "I did care for the man." LaPerruque: At that time, my children had grown older, started their own things, always enjoyed the challenge working for MJ. After meeting with him and speaking with his manager at the time, LaPerruque left the LA Times and went to work for Michael Jackson. They met face to face, since the last time they spoke was in the Arvizo trial. He wanted to hear what MJ wanted him back. LaPerruque said Michael appeared bright, clear, energetic, full of energy. He wanted to do a lot of things. Based on the meeting, that's why he went back to work with him in 2007. His job was the same as before. He spoke with Raymone Bain. LaPerruque had a written agreement to work as head of security for Michael Jackson. He worked for him for only a few months in 07.

During this time, LaPerruque took MJ to NYC to meet with AEG Live execs. He escorted MJ into the room, probably 10 people or more present. "Michael seemed bright and alert at this meeting. He seemed excited," LaPerruque said. The meeting lasted a couple of hours, LaPerruque said. He escorted MJ to Penn Station, he wanted to pick up some doughnuts for the kids. LaPerruque said he seemed happy, did not ask about how the meeting went.

The security head never told AEG about any of the concerns he had with Michael Jackson. LaPerruque said he did not have any concern with MJ being under the influence of prescription drug in 2007.

LaPerruque said he stopped working for MJ due to financial difficulties. "I wasn't getting paid," LaPerruque explained. "The production company wasn't paying me for my services," LaPerruque testified. He stopped in the beginning of 2008. Work began in August of 2007, got paid in September and didn't get paid anymore until 2008. LaPerruque spoke with MJ. "He said he was very embarrassed not being able to pay me, he said he was going to make it right, apologized." This was in November 2007. He still didn't get paid. MJ then moved to Las Vegas. He spoke with Raymone Bain, who said MJ had moved. He never heard from anyone about working again. LaPerruque said he tried calling MJ several times about getting paid but never heard back. LaPerruque retained an attorney to speak with MJ's reps to enforce agreement they had. They settled. "I was mad, but not mad at him," LaPerruque said. "Because of what I heard why we stopped working together." (financial reasons). LaPerruque said he never thought of selling his story to the tabloids.

LaPerruque said he saw MJ about 2 weeks prior to his death. He was working for Janet, she threw a party for their parents at a restaurant. LaPerruque: MJ saw me and said Mike! Came running to me, gave me a big hug. He asked if they could talk, I took him to a private room. LaPerruque said MJ seemed happy to be there at the party. He was not incoherent or had slurred speech. LaPerruque: I did ask 'Mike, you're looking skinnier than I've ever seen you. You need to get meet in your bones.' He laughed. LaPerruque said MJ told him he was rehearsing a lot, thus the weight. He said MJ seemed excited about going to London.

Putnam: Were you surprised he passed?
LaPerruque: Yes "It just caught me off guard," LaPerruque explained.

Putnam asked if there was anything LaPerruque thought he could've seen at the meeting two weeks prior but didn't. He answered no.

La Perruque stopped working for Jackson in 2004, but returned to oversee his security in late 2007. He said he didn't see any signs that Jackson was impaired during the few months he worked for him again. He testified he last saw Jackson two weeks before the singer's death and he looked fine, but he noticed that his former boss was skinnier than usual. (AP)

(Outside the presence of the jury, LaPerruque approached Ms. Jackson, hugged her and cried. They had a conversation, she handed him a tissue.)

Jackson cross

Jacksons' attorney, Deborah Chang, did the cross examination of LaPerruque following the afternoon break.

LaPerruque worked for the LA Sheriff Department for 22 years. He said MJ being a high profile, would not be able to go out in public. "Wherever we would go, there would be fans there," LaPerruque testified. He said fans wanted to meet MJ, take pictures. LaPerruque: There was always a concern of kidnapping him or his children to hold for ransom. LaPerruque explained he not only try to protect the client from outside sources, but from embarrassing himself. LaPerruque said MJ had thousands of fans everywhere in the world. Chang showed a picture of LaPerruque helping MJ with a left foot casted.

Total time LaPerruque worked for MJ was 3 years. The only time he saw MJ under influence of drugs in 2001-2004.

About the Documentary "Living with Michael Jackson" by Martin Bashir. LaPerruque was present, thought MJ trusted Bashir
Chang: Was he devastated for what he believed to be violation of that trust?
LaPerruque: Very devastated!

LaPerruque said MJ was in pain after the release of the documentary. Chang wanted to play a snippet of the documentary, but changed her mind. Chang: You know what, because he (AEG attorney) was threatening to show other parts of it, I'll withdraw my request.

Chang: Did you believe the Arvizo charges to be false?
LaPerruque: Correct.

"I came out in full support of him," LaPerruque recalled. LaPerruque asked how MJ reacted in regards to the accusations, when all he wanted to do was to take care of children.

LaPerruque: Yes, it devastated him.
Chang: Was he emotionally and physically wrecked in pain?
LP: Yes
C: Have you seen him cry?

LaPerruque said he knew MJ had vitiligo and needed treatment. He said MJ complained of back pain.

Chang asked if most of the times LaPerruque heard MJ slur his voice on the phone was during the night. He said yes.
Chang: Could he have taken a sedative such as sleeping pill, or Xanax pill?
LaPerruque: It's a possibility
Chang: Drink wine or vodka?
LaPerruque: It's a possibility
C: Or combination of drinking and sedatives?

LaPerruque never saw any prescription drug in MJ's room, never saw him hooked up to IV lines. He only saw MJ drink wine once in a plane. LaPerruque said he always had full access to MJ's room, had keys to his hotel room. The security head said he would not be able to say MJ was addicted to Demerol or painkillers. He knows MJ wanted to be clear and was motivated in the worse way.

Chang: And you believed him?
LaPerruque: I did

LaPerruque said the majority of time he traveled with MJ he wasn't under the influence. Chang asked if LaPerruque saw MJ doing anything that could put the kids at risk, if he would've called Child Services. He said absolutely.

Chang: Were you very proud of working for MJ?
LaPerruque: I was

LaPerruque received phone calls from President Clinton, Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Marlon Brando, world leaders looking for MJ. Chang showed video of Liz Taylor presenting Michael Jackson. LaPerruque said MJ's fans were deafening, nothing like he had ever seen before.

Chang: How would you describe MJ that night?
LaPerruque: He was fantastic
Shows were on Sept 7 and Sept 10, 2001, day before 9/11. "I never experienced anything like this," LaPerruque testified.

Chang showed video of music "What More Can I Give" with several high profile artists singing it, like Celine Dion, Beyonce, Gloria Estefan
Chang: Did MJ write that song in benefit of 9/11 victims?

MJ received the 2002 American Music Award Artist of the Century. Chang showed the video of the announcement. LaPerruque said MJ was very down to earth, never bragged about all the awards he received.

melden

05.08.2013 um 11:55
MIchael Jackson's ex-bodyguard testifies about singer's drug use

By Alan Duke, CNN
updated 2:18 AM EDT, Mon August 5, 2013

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* Michael LePerruque traveled with Michael Jackson for three years a decade ago
* Jackson would call his guard late at night with slurred speech, he says
* "I think he was just lonely and wanted to have somebody to talk to," LePerruque says
* Although he was called to testify by AEG Live, he spoke glowingly of Jackson

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Michael Jackson's former security chief testified that he worried at times that the singer might overdose on drugs, but he didn't think he was an addict.

Michael LePerruque, who traveled with the pop icon for three years a decade ago, returns to the stand Monday for more testimony in the wrongful death trial of Jackson's last concert promoter.

AEG Live called LePerruque as a witness in an effort to show jurors that Jackson was a secretive drug addict, making it impossible for its executives to know his life was in danger as he prepared for his comeback tour.

Michael Jackson's mother and three children are suing the promoter, contending the company is liable in his death because it negligently hired, retained or supervised Dr. Conrad Murray, the physician convicted of involuntary manslaughter in Jackson's death.

LePerruque, however, spoke glowingly of Jackson and after his first day of testimony last week he sought out Katherine Jackson to give his former boss's mother a hug.

He was hired as the chief of Jackson's travel security team after he retired from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, where he served as a deputy for 22 years. Part of his training involved recognition of when someone was under the influence of drugs, he said.

Jackson called him between 20 and 30 times from his hotel room "in the middle of the night," LePerruque testified. "His speech would be very slurred. There would be a lot of mumbling, and I wouldn't be able to comprehend what he was saying."

He would go to Jackson's room many of those nights to check to make sure he was alright, he said. He appeared to be intoxicated, he said. "I think he was just lonely and wanted to have somebody to talk to."

Under cross examination by Jackson lawyer Deborah Chang, LePerruque said Jackson's intoxication appeared to be consistent with someone drinking alcohol and taking sedatives to sleep.

Did he think he was addicted to drugs? "I wouldn't be able to say that he was addicted to those," he answered.

The security chief said he would sometimes notice empty wine bottles from the hotel room's minibar, but he never saw drugs. He also never witnessed Jackson take medications, he said.

He described a scary incident in 2001 when Jackson's children dialed 911 for help when they found their father passed out in the hallway of their suite at a Disney World hotel in Orlando, Florida.

Paris and Prince, then just 3 and 4 years old, were "crying, saying they couldn't wake up daddy," he testified. Jackson woke up after LePerruque performed mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and shook him, he said. Paramedics found no signs of a drug overdose, he said.

"It was my concern that, yes, he may overdose," LePerruque said.

LePerruque said he never confronted Jackson about his drug use because he "didn't want to put him on the defensive." To do so might have created a barrier, he said. "I wanted to be able to be close to him to monitor him to protect him."

The incidents of slurred speech and incoherent late night phone calls did not happen over the entire time LePerruque worked with Jackson, he said.

Jackson "fought very, very hard not to be on the prescription medications," LaPerruque testified.

He told of one conversation in which Jackson told him he was not going to use drugs again.

"Do I seem clear?" he said Jackson asked him. "I just want you to know that I'm going to stay this way, that I'm not going back to the way I was."

Their late night talks revealed to the guard that Jackson had trouble getting to sleep, a problem that would eventually lead to his death. He told him he couldn't sleep because his brain wouldn't stop creating music.

"He said that as an artist he always had a tune in his head, different melodies, and he wasn't able to stop it," La Perruque said. "It was always constant going through his brain.

The coroner ruled that Jackson died of an overdose of propofol, which Murray told investigators he was using to treat the singer's insomnia.

The incidents in which Jackson appeared to be under the influence of alcohol and drugs became more frequent after the broadcast of a documentary based on Martin Bashir's extensive interviews with him. LaPerruque said Jackson was "very devastated" by what he thought was the betrayal of trust he had with Bashir. Child molestation charges were filed in Santa Barbara County, California, after the broadcast.

LaPerruque said he never believed the criminal charges against Jackson were true. If he suspected he was molesting children he would be the first to slap handcuffs on him, he said.

"I came out in full support of him," LaPerruque said.

Jackson was acquitted on all charges after a trial.

LaParruque called Jackson "very down to earth," saying he was proud to have worked for him.

"There were times there were difficulties, but for the most part it was a pleasure working for him," he said.

He noted that one problem Jackson had was keeping up with his cell phones. He lost 27 of them, he said.

The wrongful death trial begins its 15th week in a Los Angeles courtroom Monday. The judge projected the trial will last until the middle of September.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/05/showbiz/jackson-death-trial/index.html

melden

07.08.2013 um 07:49
Quelle: Jackson.CH ~ Schweizer MJ Forum ...

The Jacksons vs. AEG Live — Zeugen von AEG, 7. Teil

5. August 2013

Seit Donnerstag wurde Michaels frühere Chef-Bodyguard Michael LePerruque von AEG im Zeugenstand befragt. Michael habe nicht schlafen können, da er ständig Melodien in seinem Kopf gehört habe. Und er habe an Rückenproblemen gelitten. Obwohl AEG erhoffte, von LaPerruque vernichtende Aussagen zu hören, sprach dieser meistens in den höchsten Tönen von seinem früheren Chef. Abgesehen von einigen Zwischenfällen wie etwa, als er Michael reanimieren musste. LaPerruque ging am Donnerstag Abend auf Katherine Jackson zu, um sie zu umarmen.

Nach 22 Jahren im Dienst vom Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Departement, wurde Michael LaPerruque im Jahr 2001 als Chef von Michael Jacksons Bodyguard Reise-Team angestellt. Der ehemalige Polizist arbeitete bis ins Jahr 2004 für den King of Pop. Und einige Monate Ende 2007.

Er sei 20 bis 30 Mal von Michael Mitten in der Nacht angerufen worden, berichtete LaPerruque bezüglich eigenartigen Vorfällen während seiner Anstellung Anfang Jahrtausend. „Seine Aussprache war jeweils sehr undeutlich. Da war viel Gemurmel und ich konnte nicht verstehen, was er sagte“, so Michael LaPerruque. In den meisten dieser Nächte habe er Michaels Zimmer aufgesucht um nachzusehen, ob es ihm gut geht. Michael habe betäubt gewirkt. „Ich denke er war einfach einsam und wollte jemanden haben, mit dem er sprechen konnte.“ Im Kreuzverhör mit der Anwältin der Jacksons, Deborah Chang, sagte LaPerruque, dass Michaels Zustand mit einer Person überein stimmte, die Alkohol getrunken und Beruhigungsmittel zum Schlafen genommen hatte.

Michael LaPerruque glaubt nicht, dass Michael süchtig war. „Ich kann nicht sagen, dass er davon abhängig war.“ Manchmal habe er leere Weinflaschen von den Hotel Minibars bemerkt, aber er sah nie irgendwelche Drogen oder sah Michael Medikamente nehmen. Zu seiner Polizeiausbildung habe gehört, herauszufinden, wann Jemand unter dem Einfluss von Drogen stand.

Zeuge eines erschreckenden Zwischenfalls wurde LaPerruque am Anfang seiner Anstellung. Es müsse im Jahr 2001 oder 2002 in einer Suite des Disney World Hotels in Orlando gewesen sein, als die damals erst etwa 3 bis 4 Jahre alten Kinder Prince und Paris den Notruf gewählt hatten und ihm, Perruque, weinend berichteten, dass sie ihren Vater nicht aufwecken könnten. Der kollabierte Michael kam erst wieder zu sich, als Michael LaPerruque Mund zu Mund Beatmung an ihm ausübte und Michael schüttelte. Als die Rettungssanitäter eintrafen, hätten sie jedoch keine Anzeichen von einer Drogenüberdosis festgestellt. „Es war meine Befürchtung, ja, dass er vielleicht eine Überdosis nahm“, so LaPerruque. Doch die Sanitäter sahen an jenem Tag keine weitere medizinische Behandlung als notwendig an und gingen wieder.

Er habe Michael nie bezüglich seinem Medikamentengebrauch konfrontiert, da dies ihre persönliche Beziehung gefährdet hätte. Es sei ihm wichtiger gewesen, nah an Michael zu sein um ihn beobachten und beschützen zu können. Er sei manchmal in Michaels Zimmer gegangen um sicher zu stellen, ob Michael atme. Oft habe er während Reisen Doktoren vorgefunden, die Michael behandelten. Mit Zweien von diesen sprach über über Michaels Medikamentengebrauch.

Die zusammenhangslosen, nächtlichen Anrufe hätten nicht während den ganzen drei Jahren im Dienst Michael Jacksons stattgefunden. „Er kämpfte sehr hart, nüchtern zu sein.“ Er habe nicht abhängig von verschriebenen Medikamenten sein wollen. LaPerruque berichtete der Jury von einer Unterhaltung mit seinem Boss, in der ihm dieser sagte, dass er keine Medikamente mehr verwenden möchte. Michael habe sicherstellen wollen, dass er ihn richtig verstanden habe. Er werde den Weg beibehalten und nicht rückfällig werden.

Als er im Jahr 2007 wieder einige Monate an dessen Seite arbeitete, habe er keine Anzeichen gesehen, dass Michael beeinträchtigt war. Auch als er ihn zwei Wochen vor seinem Tod sah, sei er in guter Verfassung gewesen, nur sehr mager.

La Perruque merkte schon Anfang Jahrtausend, dass Michael an starken Schlafproblemen litt und Rückenschmerzen hatte. „Er sagte, dass er als Künstler immer eine Harmonie im Kopf hatte, verschiedene Melodien, und er konnte es nicht abschalten“, berichtet LaPerruque von den Gesprächen spät nachts.

Die Momente, in denen Michael Jackson unter dem Einfluss von Alkohol und Medikamenten schien, seien häufiger geworden, nachdem Martin Bashirs Dokumentation „Living with Michael Jackson“ ausgestrahlt worden sei. Michael sei „sehr niedergeschmettert“ gewesen, da er Bashirs Dokumentation als groben Vertrauensbruch empfand. Die Dokumentation hatte zur Folge, dass Michael in Santa Barbara wegen Kindsmissbrauch angeklagt wurde.

Michael LaPerruque sagte aus, dass er den Anschuldigungen niemals Glauben schenkte. Falls er Zweifel daran gehabt hätte, so wäre er der erste gewesen, der ihn mit Handschellen gefesselt hätte, so der ex-Polizist. Er habe ihn vollständig unterstützt.

LaPerruque beschreibt Michael als „sehr Bodenständig“ und sagte, er sei stolz darauf, für ihn gearbeitet zu haben. Obwohl es einige schwierige Zeiten gegeben habe, sei es die meiste Zeit ein Vergnügen gewesen, für MJ zu arbeiten. Ein Problem, das Michael gehabt habe? „Seine Handys zu behalten.“ Michael habe 27 Handys verloren.

Quelle: jackson.ch, cnn.com, cbsnews.com

Weiterlesen unter http://www.jackson.ch/the-jacksons-vs-aeg-live-zeugen-von-aeg-7-teil/
Copyright © jackson.ch

melden

07.08.2013 um 08:06
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 4h
Upcoming Witnesses:
Kathy Jorrie -- tomorrow
Kenny Ortega
Debbie Rowe

Judge said Ortega all day Thursday & Friday. Rowe next week.
3:57 AM - 7 Aug 13

ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 4h
Judge adjourned session until tomorrow at 9:30 am PT. Jorrie will be back on the stand to resume cross examination.

melden

07.08.2013 um 08:09
AEG lawyer testifies in Michael Jackson death trial

By Alan Duke, CNN
updated 5:52 PM EDT, Tue August 6, 2013

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* Lawyer Kathy Jorrie negotiated and wrote the contract between AEG Live and Dr. Murray
* Murray told Jorrie he was closing four profitable clinics to take the job as Jackson's doctor
* An investigator testified Murray was $1 million in debt and his clinic faced eviction
* Jackson lawsuit contends AEG Live failed to check Murray's background

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Dr. Conrad Murray claimed he was giving up a $1-million-a-month medical practice to serve as Michael Jackson's doctor, a lawyer testified Tuesday.

Kathy Jorrie, who negotiated and wrote the contract between AEG Live and Murray, was called as a witness in the wrongful death trial of the concert promoter.

Murray, who agreed to work as Jackson's full-time physician for his comeback concerts for $150,000 a month, is serving a prison term for involuntary manslaughter in Jackson's drug overdose death.

Michael Jackson's mother and three children are suing AEG Live, contending the concert promoter was liable in his death because it negligently hired, retained or supervised Murray.

Murray told Jorrie during negotiations that he was closing down four medical clinics that were making $1 million each month to take the job, Jorrie testified.

Testimony in Murray's criminal trial revealed he only operated two clinics -- one in Las Vegas, Nevada, and the other in Houston, Texas.

A Los Angeles Police detective testified earlier in this civil trial that Murray was more than $1 million in debt and that his Las Vegas medical clinic faced eviction in the months before he was hired to treat Jackson.

Jackson lawyers argue AEG Live executives were negligent because they failed to check Murray's background, which they contend would have revealed his debts and misrepresentations about his successful practices.

Michael Jackson trial: Who is Debbie Rowe?

AEG Live executives testified that they relied on assurances by Jackson that Murray was his "longtime personal doctor," concluding that he was competent for the tour position.

A music industry veteran hired as an expert witness by Jackson lawyers testified earlier that AEG Live's negotiations with Murray were "highly inappropriate."

The agreement to pay Murray $150,000 a month set up an "egregious" conflict of interest in which the physician was beholden to the company and himself before Jackson's interests, David Berman, who once headed Capitol Records and worked for decades as an entertainment lawyer, testified.

The contractual relationship between AEG Live and Murray was "not unlike the team doctor for a football team, where the quarterback is injured and the doctor comes to the medical conclusion that the quarterback should be taken out of the game for a period of weeks, but the team doesn't want him out," Berman said. "There is an inherent conflict."

Berman, called as an expert witness on music industry contracts, also noted that the contract said AEG Live could terminate Murray if concerts were postponed or canceled.

"The fact that if the tour is even just postponed that AEG Live has the ability to cease any further compensation for Dr. Murray, giving Dr. Murray even greater conflict of interest since he was in financial dire straits. He did need this gig and if it was postponed, which could hypothetically be in the best interest of Michael Jackson, he ran the risk of losing any further compensation," he testified.

Berman testified that AEG Live executives should have recognized there could be a problem with Murray when he initially asked for $5 million for one year as Jackson's doctor. "That is a pretty bizarre amount," he said.

The eventual agreement to pay the doctor $150,000 a month was still "an exorbitant amount, more than any other person on the tour was paid," he said. "Even more of a red flag since AEG was aware of another doctor who was willing to take the job for $40,000 a month."

Murray told investigators that he gave Jackson nightly infusions of the surgical anesthetic propofol for two months to treat his insomnia. The coroner ruled Jackson died from a propofol overdose on June 25, 2009.

The wrongful death trial, in its 15th week, is expected to continue into September.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/06/showbiz/jackson-death-trial/index.html

melden

07.08.2013 um 08:13
Michael Jackson-AEG trail witness: Murray asked for back-up physician

By Kate Mather
August 6, 2013, 4:41 p.m.

The attorney hired by AEG to draft Conrad Murray’s contract for Michael Jackson’s ill-fated “This Is It” tour testified Thursday that the the doctor had requested a CPR machine and a back-up physician.

Kathy Jorrie, an outside attorney who has long worked for AEG, said when she began the negotiations in June 2009, tour accountant Timm Woolley told her Murray was the singer’s personal physician and would provide general medical services during the 50-show London tour.

During questioning by AEG attorney Jessica Stebbins-Bina, Jorrie said she spoke to Murray twice on the phone during the negotiation process, which produced three drafts of the contract the doctor ultimately signed.

The central question in the wrongful death case filed by Jackson's mother and three children is who hired Murray. Katherine Jackson and her grandchildren allege AEG negligently hired and controlled the doctor, who gave the singer a fatal dose of propofol two weeks before his comeback tour was set to open.

AEG alleges it was Jackson who hired Murray, and any money that was supposed to be paid to the doctor was actually part of an advance to the singer.

Murray is now serving jail time after being convicted of involuntary manslaughter in Jackson's death.

Jorrie said she first spoke to Murray on the phone on June 18, after he reviewed an initial draft of the contract. He asked that his company's name be added to the contract and that a provision allowing him to hire a nurse as an assistant be changed to a "qualified assistant medical person."

"I had asked him, 'Why would you need another physician as opposed to a nurse?'" Jorrie testified. "And he told me that in an event that he was not available or he was tired, he wanted the flexibility" to have a back-up.

Murray asked that he be responsible for hiring the additional doctor, but did not provide a name, Jorrie said. The attorney testified that she ultimately agreed to the change.

Murray also requested that should his contract be terminated early, he would not be required to refund his $150,000-per-month payment. Jorrie said Murray told her that his medical practices brought in "a million dollars a month" and because he was leaving those practices for the tour, "it'd be fair and appropriate" that he keep the full payment he had received.

Jorrie said she also spoke to Murray about his request for medical equipment. Woolley had provided her a list of items the doctor might ask for, she testified, and she wanted to know why a "CPR machine" was on the list.

"He said he needed it in London during the performance, Michael Jackson puts on a strenuous performance and that he did not want to take a chance," she said. "That should anything go wrong, should there be an emergency, etc., he wanted to have that."

When she asked if having a machine available at the O2 Arena would suffice, she said Murray said no.

"He said they would" have the machine, she said, "but that he didn't want to take a chance."

After speaking to the doctor, Jorrie said she searched online to confirm some of his background. She verified his company was based in Nevada and that he had medical licenses in four states.

She also "Googled him," she said. "I Google everybody."

Jorrie said she attempted to email the revised contract to Murray, but the email bounced back. She then sent it to Woolley, who forwarded it to the doctor.

Murray called June 23 with additional changes that involved when his payments would begin and extending the time of his services from September 2009 to March 2010. Murray told her Jackson had agreed to pay his monthly salary for that extended time frame, she said.

Jorrie said she sent Murray another draft based on the changes. The next day, she testified, she received a copy of the agreement via fax that had been signed by Murray.

The attorney testified that she never directly communicated with Jackson or sent the singer or his representatives any versions of the contract, though there was a space set aside for the pop star's signature. The empty line on the contract shown to jurors Tuesday was dated June 24, which is when Jorie said she expected the parties involved to sign the final agreement.

Jackson died the next day.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-jackson-murray-contract-20130806,0,441638.story

melden

07.08.2013 um 08:14
@FaIrIeFlOwEr
noch so nebenbei
Zitat von FaIrIeFlOwErFaIrIeFlOwEr schrieb:viggle steht auch noch in Debbies Tweet
, aber ich habe auch keine Ahnung, was das bedeuten könnte. Es muß eine App sein für I-Phone, da wirst Du belohnt, wenn Du irgendwelche Programme anmeldest, zumindest habe ich das so verstanden.
Ist auch egal, mit so was muß ich mich nicht belasten, reicht so schon - hahahahaha.

Eigentlich müßten die anderen Bodyguards, die zuletzt bei Michael gearbeitet haben, auch aussagen. Die waren doch nahe an ihm!!!
Ich verstehe diesen gesamten Prozess nicht, alle Menschen, die tatsächlich ganz eng mit ihm zu tun hatten in der letzten Phase seines Lebens werden von einer Aussage vor Gericht verschont.
Nein, das geht nicht in mein Hirn!
Alles andere ist doch nur blablabla, was soll das? Was nützt mir die Aussage, wie Michael in der Kindheit war und vor 20 oder 30 Jahren???? Wie komme ich mit solchen Aussagen auf die Beantwortung der Frage: "Ist Murray von AEG eingestellt worden?"
Und was hat die Bewertung des ATV - Kataloges mit dieser Frage zu tun?
Selbst wenn es um Entschädigung für die zukünftigen Einnahmen gehen soll, hat die Bewertung von diesem Sony-Anteil absolut nichts damit zu tun.

1x zitiertmelden

07.08.2013 um 08:16
Michael Jackson trial: Lawyer talks Conrad Murray agreement

Tuesday, August 06, 2013
Miriam Hernandez

<object id="otvPlayer" width="400" height="268"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/static/flash/embeddedPlayer/swf/otvEmLoader.swf?version=fw1000&station=kabc&section=&mediaId=9197964&parentId=9197963&cdnRoot=http://cdn.abclocal.go.com&webRoot=http://abclocal.go.com&configPath=/util/&site=" ></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed id="otvPlayer" width="400" height="268" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" allowfullscreen="true" src="http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/static/flash/embeddedPlayer/swf/otvEmLoader.swf?version=fw1000&station=kabc&section=&mediaId=9197964&parentId=9197963&cdnRoot=http://cdn.abclocal.go.com&webRoot=http://abclocal.go.com&configPath=/util/&site="></embed></object>

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Michael Jackson wrongful death trial on Tuesday focused on the agreement with the pop star's doctor, Conrad Murray. That contract could be a key element in the case.

If Jackson's death was caused by his doctor, then whoever hired the doctor for the star's comeback tour should be liable for his death, according to Katherine Jackson's lawsuit.

Now under scrutiny before the jury is Murray's independent contractor agreement, which was drawn up by AEG Live but never signed. The AEG defense says the document holds evidence that Jackson requested Murray to be his personal physician and dictated his salary.

Attorney Kathy Jorrie, who wrote the agreement, walked the jury through the many changes made to the document. Her appearance set off objections from the Jackson attorneys.

"She never spoke to Michael Jackson, she doesn't know. But we know that, at least based on the evidence, AEG did hire Dr. Murray. And the contract she negotiated was never sent to any representatives of Michael Jackson," said Jackson attorney Brian Panish.

The defense says Jorrie spoke directly to Murray about the terms the doctor and Jackson wanted.

"Michael Jackson wanted to bring his long-time physician with him. That it was at his solo and absolute direction, that this would only occur with his, um, normally saying he wanted it done, but he actually had to sign and say so, and had to sign and say that he would be the one paying for it," said AEG lawyer Marvin Putnam.

Jorrie says that she questioned Murray's salary of $150,000 a month. Murray's response, she testified, was that his practices in four states brought him $1 million a month.

Jorrie says she did an Internet search and found Murray's practices listed. She said the medical boards in the four states showed no record of disciplinary action against him.

Jurors learned through earlier testimony that Murray was broke. About Murray's contract not being signed, the Jackson attorneys say it doesn't matter.

"You don't really need a contract to hire someone. As we've seen in this case, many people have worked for AEG that didn't have a contract," said Panish.

But AEG's interpretation of the law is that the unsigned agreement nullifies everything.

"As long as you have that agreement that you're not going to have an agreement unless signed by the parties, then you can't override that," said Putnam.

Jorrie is back on the stand Wednesday to face cross examination by the Jackson attorneys.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/entertainment&id=9197963 (Archiv-Version vom 07.08.2013)

melden

07.08.2013 um 08:30
@Sylvina
Zitat von SylvinaSylvina schrieb:Es muß eine App sein für I-Phone, da wirst Du belohnt, wenn Du irgendwelche Programme anmeldest, zumindest habe ich das so verstanden.
Ist auch egal, mit so was muß ich mich nicht belasten, reicht so schon - hahahahaha.
hihihi, ja eine App, so was ähnliches habe ich auch gefunden ... habe mich dann aber nicht weiter damit beschäftigt, brauche es ja nicht ... hahaha
Zitat von SylvinaSylvina schrieb:Wie komme ich mit solchen Aussagen auf die Beantwortung der Frage: "Ist Murray von AEG eingestellt worden?"
Und was hat die Bewertung des ATV - Kataloges mit dieser Frage zu tun?
Selbst wenn es um Entschädigung für die zukünftigen Einnahmen gehen soll, hat die Bewertung von diesem Sony-Anteil absolut nichts damit zu tun.
ich komme bei diesem Prozess, so langsam auch nicht mehr mit ... gebe mir auch keine Mühe, es verstehen zu müssen ...
es zieht sich so in die Länge, ob da die Juroren überhaupt noch wissen, worum es primär geht ???
ich kann es mir nicht vorstellen ... bin mehr oder weniger gespannt, wie dieser Prozess ausgeht ...
und das hoffentlich bald ... :D

melden

07.08.2013 um 09:06
@FaIrIeFlOwEr
Ach was, jetzt hat der Murray 4 Praxen gehabt und einen monatlichen Umsatz von 1 Million Dollar?
......und die hat er alle aufgegeben, um für MIchael eine absehbare Zeit den Leibarzt zu spielen und das auch noch für "nur" 150.000,00 $ im Monat???? Was für ein Verlust!!!! Und jetzt hat er auch noch einen 2. Arzt oder Krankenschwester beantragt wegen Arbeitsüberlastung oder was?

Da ja Kathrine ausgesagt hat, daß sie nie etwas mitbekommen hat, daß Michael irgendwelche "Drogen" oder sie meinen sicher Medikamente genommen hat, bin ich mal gespannt, ob sie nochmals auf dieses Implantat angesprochen wird, was sie lt. Aussage eines Arztes freudig sich erklären und zeigen ließ.
AEG will jetzt sicher Michael als geheimen "Drogensüchtigen" dastehen lassen und gräbt deshalb in der Vergangenheit und deshalb sollen auch die Geschwister aussagen, die jetzt plötzlich alle vom Erdboden verschwunden sind. Da werden sie nichts leugnen können, es gibt genug Interviews, z.B. von Janet und Rebbie, die Michael als Süchtigen dargestellt haben. Die Grace ist ja auch verschwunden, sicher weil sie Angst hat, vor Gericht zu bezeugen. Da gab es ja den langen Tatsachenbericht von ihrer Freundin, dieser Malika Chopra. Darin wird von Grace gesagt, daß sie die Kinder öfter nicht zu Michael lassen konnte, weil er total neben der Spur war und total verwahrlost, ja so habe ich es gelesen.
......und daß die Kinder in Florida den Notruf betätigt hatten, weil der Papa nicht aufwachte, das habe ich auch schon vor Jahren gelesen und hatte es nebenan mal reingesetzt, bin aber sofort angegriffen worden.
Jetzt erzählt das der Leibwächter vor Gericht. Mich würde schon die Mimik von den Klägern interessieren, wenn sie so etwas zu hören bekommen. Aber ich bin der festen Überzeugung, daß die das eh alle gewußt haben und noch vieles mehr.

1x zitiertmelden

08.08.2013 um 08:09
Es gibt nichts Neues vom Gericht, blablabla, eine AEG-Anwältin wurde gestern ausgefragt, aber eigentlich immer Wiederholungen. Heute soll wohl Kenny Ortega wieder befragt werden, weil das vor paar Wochen nicht beendet werden konnte, also er ist Zeuge der Anklage und wird jetzt zwischenreingeschoben. Angeblich soll dann morgen der Randy Jackson aussagen oder es wird nur ein Video von seiner Befragung gezeigt.
Ich glaube, die drehen sich im Kreis! Mir tun nur die Juroren leid, tagein tagaus den gleichen Mist von früh bis abends anhören zu müssen und dann noch richtig aufmerksam zuhören, es könnt ja jemand etwas verraten, was unbedingt wichtig ist für eine Beurteilung des Falles.

Kann der Richter/in eigentlich jetzt noch sagen, er/sie sieht keine weitere Möglichkeit, den Prozess fortzuführen?

1x zitiertmelden

08.08.2013 um 13:13
@Sylvina
Zitat von SylvinaSylvina schrieb:Ach was, jetzt hat der Murray 4 Praxen gehabt und einen monatlichen Umsatz von 1 Million Dollar?
......und die hat er alle aufgegeben, um für MIchael eine absehbare Zeit den Leibarzt zu spielen und das auch noch für "nur" 150.000,00 $ im Monat???? Was für ein Verlust!!!! Und jetzt hat er auch noch einen 2. Arzt oder Krankenschwester beantragt wegen Arbeitsüberlastung oder was?
na auf jeden Fall hatte er Lizenzen für die Staaten Kalifornien, Nevada, Texas, Hawaii.
Murray hatte doch AEG Live wegen Equipment angeschrieben, das er für die TII-Tour brauchte ...
und in dem Zusammenhang hatte er m. E. auch um die Einstellung eines 2. Arztes oder einer Krankenschwester gebeten, die ihn unterstützen sollten ... :)
Zitat von SylvinaSylvina schrieb:Da gab es ja den langen Tatsachenbericht von ihrer Freundin, dieser Malika Chopra. Darin wird von Grace gesagt, daß sie die Kinder öfter nicht zu Michael lassen konnte, weil er total neben der Spur war und total verwahrlost, ja so habe ich es gelesen.
genau, den habe ich auch damals gelesen ... und es gab aber auch verschiedene Bericht, u. a. in der Grazia ... aber es ist natürlich schwierig, den Wahrheitsgehalt daraus festlegen zu können ...
aber vorstellen könnte ich mir schon, dass es solche Situationen gab ...
Zitat von SylvinaSylvina schrieb:......und daß die Kinder in Florida den Notruf betätigt hatten, weil der Papa nicht aufwachte, das habe ich auch schon vor Jahren gelesen und hatte es nebenan mal reingesetzt, bin aber sofort angegriffen worden.
Jetzt erzählt das der Leibwächter vor Gericht. Mich würde schon die Mimik von den Klägern interessieren, wenn sie so etwas zu hören bekommen. Aber ich bin der festen Überzeugung, daß die das eh alle gewußt haben und noch vieles mehr.
ja, ich habe auch gelesen, dass es mehrere Momente gegeben haben soll, wo MJ fast gestorben
wäre ... na so etwas wollten doch einige MJ Fans gar nicht so genau wissen, denn die haben sich die Realität eh selbst zusammengebastelt ... :D :D

aus einem Artikel der Grazia Nr. 20 - 12.05.2010 ↓
In Neverland war es auch, dass sein Sohn Prince 2003 solche Angst um seinen (und wohl auch vor seinem) Vater hatte, dass der damals Sechsjährige einen Notruf ansetzte.

Dies war eines von mindestens zwei Malen, an denen Michael fast gestorben wäre - allein im Jahr 2003. Der zweite Vorfall ereignete sich im August in Las Vegas: Michael muss derart unter Drogen gestanden haben, dass er aus dem Bett fiel und bei Aufstehversuchen noch mehrfach schwer stürzte.
na, davon bin ich auch überzeugt, dass die Jacksons & Co. eh sehr vieles gewußt haben und natürlich noch vieles mehr ...

nur, dient dieses Wissen nun zur Findung über die Höhe der Schadensersatzleistung ????? sehr eigenartig !!!!!!

melden

08.08.2013 um 13:28
@Sylvina
Zitat von SylvinaSylvina schrieb:Kann der Richter/in eigentlich jetzt noch sagen, er/sie sieht keine weitere Möglichkeit, den Prozess fortzuführen?
ich habe keine Ahnung vom amerikanischen "Rechtssystem" ... aber ich denke, jetzt gibt es keine Möglichkeit mehr den Prozess zu stoppen (es sei denn die Klägerseite zieht die Klage zurück, sind aber auch nur Vermutungen) ... jetzt werden noch die Zeugen in den Stand treten, die bereits vorgesehen waren und dann entscheiden die Juroren ...

ja, und das kann noch dauern ... ob es vielleicht im September 2013 ein Urteil geben wird ????

1x zitiertmelden

08.08.2013 um 13:37

Michael Jackson vor seinem Tod
Kinder sahen Vater nach Überdosis
07 August 2013, 17:19

Die Kinder von Michael Jackson sahen ihren Vater nach einer Überdosis – acht Jahre vor dem Tod des Pop-Stars im Jahr 2009.

32-Michael-Jackson-2002-dpa 126183

Traurige Neuigkeiten im Fall Michael Jackson († 54): Wie "contactmusic" berichtet, sahen die Kinder des King of Pops bereits im Jahr 2001, wie ihr Vater nach einer Überdosis kollabierte. Tochter Paris (15) und Sohn Prince (14) waren damals erst vier und drei, als sie sehen mussten, wie ihr Vater bewusstlos auf dem Boden einer Hotelsuite in Orlando lag.

Wiederbelebt wurde Jacko damals von Bodyguard Michael La Perruque mittels Mund-zu-Mund-Beatmung. Kurze Zeit später traf der medizinische Dienst ein und stabilisierte Michael Jacksons kritischen Zustand. La Perruques enthüllte diesen Vorfall vor dem Landesgericht in Los Angeles, als Familie Jackson die Konzertveranstalter “AEG Live“ auf mehr als 32 Milliarden Euro verklagten. Die Familie wirft “AEG Live“ vor, Dr. Conrad Murray (63) eingestellt zu haben – dieser zeigte sich mitverantwortlich für Tod von Michael Jackson.

Die Konzertveranstalter behaupten nach wie vor, dass Michael Jackson den Arzt eingestellt hätte und der Sänger die Schuld für seinen Tod selbst tragen müsste. La Perraque sagt, dass er niemals Medikamente im Zimmer des Sängers fand, dafür jedoch immer einige leere Flaschen Alkohol. Dem Gericht räumte der Bodyguard ein: “Ich war besorgt, ja, dass er eine Überdosis nehmen würde.“

http://www.prosieben.de/stars/news/michael-jackson-vor-seinem-tod-kinder-sahen-vater-nach-ueberdosis-1.3605127/ (Archiv-Version vom 11.08.2013)

ähnlicher Bericht
http://www.bunte.de/stars/michael-jackson-seine-kinder-fanden-ihn-bewusstlos-nach-einer-ueberdosis_aid_44553.html

melden

08.08.2013 um 14:23
Quelle: Jackson.CH ~ Schweizer MJ Forum ...

THE JACKSONS VS. AEG LIVE — ZEUGEN VON AEG, 8. TEIL

8. August 2013

Diese Woche wurde die Befragung von Bodyguard LaPerruque fortgesetzt. Anschliessend waren die Vertragsvorbereitungen für die Vereinbarung mit Dr. Murray zentrales Thema. Ebenso der undurchsichtige Manager Thome Thome, von dem sich Michael Jackson mehrmals distanziert hatte, der aber trotzdem weiterhin als dessen Manager agierte. Auch AEG hatte Michaels Anweisungen diesbezüglich ignoriert.

Am Montag war Michael Jacksons frühere Sicherheitschef und ehemalige Polizist Michael La Perruque zurück im Zeugenstand. Der Jury wurden ein Musikvideo, das 2001 in den Universal Studios gedreht wurde, ein Auftritt im Apollo Theater anlässlich eines demokratischen Spendenevents, und Michaels American Bandstand Auftritt im Jahr 2002 gezeigt. Ebenso Michaels Gastauftritt in „Men In Black 2“. Die Anwälte der Jacksons wollten damit zeigen, dass Michael entgegen der Argumentation von AEG, nach der History Tournee sehr wohl noch einige namhafte Projekte umsetzte und nicht unter Medikamenten stand, oder nicht fähig gewesen wäre, aufzutreten. MJ habe keine ernsthaften Abhängigkeitsprobleme in den Jahren vor 2009 gehabt.

LaPerruque war bei den erwähnten Auftritten an der Seite des King of Pops. Letzte Woche hatte der Bodyguard ausgesagt, dass er 10 bis 15 Mal, als er an der Seite seines Chefs war, den Eindruck hatte, Michael Jackson stehe unter dem Einfluss von „stimulants“, da seine Aussprache undeutlich war. Weitere 10 bis 15 Mal habe er diesen Eindruck gehabt, als er am Telefon mit Michael sprach.

AEG zeigte am Montag eine Videoaufzeichnung von einem AEG Finanzberater, der sagte, er habe AEG beim Vorbereiten des Vertrages mit Dr. Conrad Murray geholfen. Der Vertrag sei nie vollständig ausgearbeitet worden.

Vor Gericht sagte die von AEG für den Vertrag mit Murray angestellte Juristin Kathy Jorrie aus, dass ihr der Doktor im Juni 2009 mitgeteilt habe, er schliesse zu Gunsten des This Is It Engagements vier Arztniederlassungen, mit denen er pro Monat eine Million Dolalr einnehme. Dies, um sein monatliches Gehalt von 150 000 zu rechtfertigen. Allerdings deckten Aussagen im Strafprozess gegen Murray auf, dass der Doktor damals nur zwei Kliniken hatte: Eine in Las Vegas, Nevada und eine in Houston, Texas. Ausserdem hatten Polizeiermittler zu Beginn des aktuellen Zivilprozesses ausgesagt, dass Dr. Murray zum Zeitpunkt seiner Anstellung über eine Million Schulden hatte.

Kathy Jorrie sagte am Dienstag, Conrad Murray habe eine CPR Maschine und einen Mediziner als Assistent gefordert. Sie habe, als sie im Juni von AEG mit der Vertragserstellung beauftragt wurde, zweimal mit dem Doktor telefoniert und es resultierten drei Entwürfe des Vertrages, den Murray letztendlich unterschrieben hatte. AEG sagt, es sei Michael Jackson gewesen, der Murray angestellt habe, und, dass die beabsichtigten Lohnzahlungen an Murray nur Vorauszahlungen an MJ gewesen wären.

Jorrie habe am 18. Juni erstmals mit Murray telefoniert, nachdem er den Namen seiner Firma auf dem Vertrag ergänzt haben wollte und die Möglichkeit, einen „Krankenpfleger“ beizuziehen, in einen „qualifizierten medizinischen Assistent“, ändern wollte. Murray habe auf die Flexibilität bestanden, sollte es ihm selbst einmal nicht gut gehen oder er für die Betreuung Michael Jacksons nicht verfügbar sein sollte. Die Herz-Lungen-Reanimationsmaschine habe er für alle Fälle haben wolle, da er angesichts der kräftezehrenden This Is It Konzerte kein Risiko eingehen wollte. Murray verneinte aber, dass, falls in der 02 Arena eine CPR Maschine bereit stünde, ihm das reichen würde.

Bezüglich Background-Check habe sie herausgefunden, dass Murrays Firma in Nevada ansässig sei und er in vier Bundesstaaten eine medizinische Zulassung hatte, so Kathy Jorrie. Sie habe auch 10 Minuten nach dem Doktor gegoogelt. Im Kreuzverhör mit dem Jacksons Anwalt Brian Panish, gestand sie, dass sie Murray besser überprüfen hätte können, etwa ob Murrays Anwesen mit einer verfallenen Hypothek belastet war, oder er Kinder-Unterhaltszahlungen leisten musste. Sie habe nicht herausgefunden, dass Murray schwer verschuldet war.

Nachdem Murray am 23. Juni die Zeitspanne des Vertrages statt bis im September 2009 bis März 2010 geändert haben wollte (und gesagt habe, MJ hätte zugestimmt, seinen Lohn in dieser zusätzlichen Zeitspanne zu bezahlen), habe sie ihm den angepassten Vertrag via Mail zukommen lassen. Einen Tag später, am 24. Juni, habe Murray den Vertrag unterschrieben zurück gefaxt.

Kathy Jorrie sagte aus, dass sie nie direkt mit Michael Jackson oder seinen Repräsentanten sprach und ihnen keine der Vertragsversionen zukommen liess. Diese wurden nur an AEG gesendet, so Jorries Aussage am Mittwoch. Jede Version beinhaltete den Satz, dass Murray „die zumutbaren Wünsche des Produzenten“, AEG, auszuführen habe.

Auch der mysteriöse Dr. Thome Thome war am Mittwoch erneut Thema im Gerichtssaal. Scheinbar wusste niemand, was es mit dessen angeblichen Doktor-Titel auf sich hat. Den Geschworenen wurden Briefe und Mails von Michael Jackson gezeigt, in denen er schrieb, Thome Thome sei nicht sein Repräsentant, obwohl AEG Live agierte, als wäre er Michaels Manager.

Kathy Jorrie äusserte gegenüber AEG Live schon im Janaur 2009 in einem E-Mail Bedenken bzgl. Thome Thome.

“whether or not he is the real McCoy… Nonetheless, I recommend that a background check be performed through a private investigator and/or at a minimum, that someone at AEG Live meet with Michael Jackson to make sure he understands that we are entering into a tour agreement with him that will require him to perform a worldwide tour.”

Eine Kopie der Mail ging an Peter Lopez, einer von Jacksons Anwälten, der über die Jahre oft für ihn arbeitete. Ein Privatermittler wurde von AEG nie engagiert.

Am 22. April 2009 hatte Michael Jackson Randy Phillips von AEG geschrieben: “This letter shall serve to confirm that I am not using Dr. Tohme for tour production management services and that I do not intend to use Dr. Tohme in the future for tour production management services or with respect to other event related matters.“

“Therefore, you are not authorized to pay Dr. Tohme or any of his affiliated companies for any such services in connection with my upcoming tour or any future tours or other events…”

Kathy Jorrie sagte vor Gericht, sie habe das Schreiben nie zu Gesicht bekommen.

Seltsamerweise sendete AEG drei Tage nach Michaels Tod, am 28. Juni 2009, ein Dokument an Thome Thome, das geltend machte, der Konzertpromoter habe MJ bis dahin bereits 34 Millionen vorgeschossen. Das Dokument war von Kathy Jorrie und dem Leiter der AEG Rechtsabteilung, Shwan Trell, verfasst worden. Das von Thome Thome unterschriebene Dokument weist ihn als Direktor von „Michael Jackson Co. LLP“ aus, der im Namen der Firma handeln könne.

Dies widerspricht einer Mail von einem Anwalt Michael Jacksons, Dennis Hawk, an Kathy Jorrie, in dem dieser am 14. Januar 2009 mitteilte, dass Michael Jackson der alleinige Direktor und Unterschriftenberechtigte von „Michael Jackson Co. LLP“ sei.

Die Juristin Kathy Jorrie erklärte den allfälligen Fehler damit, dass der AEG Geschäftsführer Paul Gongaware ihr eventuell mitgeteilt habe, Thome Thome sei ein bevollmächtigter Direktor der Firma Michael Jacksons.

Quelle: jackson.ch, latimes.com, losangeles.cbslocal.com, abclocal.go.com, cnn.com

Weiterlesen unter http://www.jackson.ch/the-jacksons-vs-aeg-live-zeugen-von-aeg-8-teil/
Copyright © jackson.ch

melden

09.08.2013 um 07:58

MJ Producer Kenny Ortega
MJ Controlled His Life
And His Death

8/8/2013 1:07 PM PDT

0808-kenny-ortega-michael-jackson-articl

The man who skippered Michael Jackson's "This Is It" rehearsals blamed the pop star for the predicament that led to his death.

Text, the tour's director and producer, testified in the Michael Jackson wrongful death trial this morning that Michael called the shots, adding, "I don't think he was being very responsible."

Ortega -Kenny Ortega- who was called as a witness by AEG Live -- testified he was not responsible for MJ's health. Ortega told the jury that Michael was squarely in charge, and made it clear that the singer and Conrad Murray called the shots when it came to MJ's well-being.

Ortega's testimony is critical, because Ortega is linked to AEG and had day-to-day contact with Jackson. Katherine Jackson is trying to show AEG called the shots and hired Dr. Conrad Murray. Ortega is clearly taking issue with Katherine.

In fact, Ortega came close to saying when it came to medical treatment, he was Michael's bitch, having to endure scoldings by Dr. Conrad Murray when the doc felt Ortega was contradicting him.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/08/08/michael-jackson-kenny-ortega-wrongful-death-lawsuit-trial-this-is-it-conrad-murray-aeg/

melden

09.08.2013 um 08:08
Michael Jackson case may not reach jury until late September

By Jeff Gottlieb
August 8, 2013, 2:35 p.m.

The judge in the Michael Jackson wrongful death lawsuit said Thursday that she doesn’t expect the case, now in its fourth month, to go to the jury before late September.

Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos said she thought jurors needed an update on the case, which has moved slowly.

One juror, according to the judge, had signaled that the end of August was a “drop dead date.” The judge did not address what will happen at that time, but it raises the question of whether an alternate will take the juror’s place. One juror, who moved to Atlanta, already has been replaced.

The judge gave jurors no explanation for the length of the trial.

“It is what it is,” she said.

Palazuelos told jurors to write her a note if they had problems.

The pace of the trial will slow considerably next month with no court scheduled on several days. Palazuelos said earlier in the trial that jurors had pushed back appointments to September, when they expected the case would be over. As a result some are busy on certain days.

Jackson’s mother and three children are suing AEG Live, saying the concert promoter and producer negligently hired Conrad Murray, the doctor who administered the fatal dose of the anesthetic propofol to the singer to help him sleep in June 2009. AEG says Murray was Jackson’s personal physician, that the singer hired him and that any money it was supposed to pay Murray was part of an advance to Jackson.

Kenny Ortega, the director of Jackson’s ill–fated 50 comeback concerts in London, continued his testimony Thursday after a break of several weeks so he could travel to China for work.

Ortega wrote an email to AEG chief executive Randy Phillips five days before Jackson’s death expressing his concern with the singer’s physical and emotional state, saying the pop star wouldn’t be ready for the concerts and that he needed to be evaluated by a psychiatrist. .

Asked if Jackson was responsible for his own health, Ortega replied, “I didn’t think he was being very responsible but it was his responsibility, in my opinion.”

Debbie Rowe, Jackson’s former wife and mother of two of his children, is expected to be called to the witness stand next week.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-michael-jackson-september-20130808,0,7639084.story

melden

09.08.2013 um 08:35
@FaIrIeFlOwEr
Zitat von FaIrIeFlOwErFaIrIeFlOwEr schrieb:ja, und das kann noch dauern ... ob es vielleicht im September 2013 ein Urteil geben wird
na das ist ja dann schon beantwortet, es zieht sich noch länger hin!
Voraussichtliche Zeugenbefragungen bis September, kann auch noch länger dauern. Danach bekriegen sich dann erst mal wieder die Anwälte, das kann auch dauern.
Selbst wenn AEG verurtelt wird, heißt das noch lange nicht, daß sie das hinnehmen, die gehen dann in Berufung, garantiert.

melden

09.08.2013 um 08:44
Michael Jackson Wrongful Death Lawsuit: What If It Was Joe Smith?

Posted: Aug 09, 2013 4:37 AM
Updated: Aug 09, 2013 4:40 AM
Posted by: Phil Shuman
Posted by: FOX 11 Web Staff

VIDEO auf der Website

If it was Joe Smith, the trial would've been a few weeks, but it's not, so it isn't. The case of the family of Michael Jackson versus entertainment giant AEG is now in it's fourth month in a stifling, uncomfortable, crowded courtroom in downtown Los Angeles. Mrs. Katherine Jackson, the family matriarch, sits quietly in the front row, with occasional visits from members of the extended Jackson clan. Her security person slash driver sits quietly behind her. A few fans make it into the public courtroom on a lottery each day. It's quite a little drama going on there.. in fact not so little with perhaps a billion dollars at stake.

The issue, in a nutshell, is who is responsible bringing Dr Conrad Murray into the picture, Michael, or AEG. Murray of course is now sitting in prison serving four years for Involuntary Manslaughter for giving Jackson was proved to be a fatal dose of the surgical anesthetic Propofol back in June of 09. The family, not that they need the money, but of course in a search for 'justice'' decided to sue AEG since they have the proverbial ''deep pockets' and Dr Murray doesn't have two cents. So the issue is, who actually ''hired'' Murray. Yes Michael knew him and wanted him, but AEG negotiated with him and prepared the contracts ( that were never completed) for 150K a month. That's a lot. AEG says he was Jackson's responsibility, Jackson's people say a ''responsible'' producer should've vetted and supervised Dr Murray and that AEG didn't do that.

The jurors seem quite attentive, more so than some of the reporters in the audience. Today veteran Director Kenny Ortega finished up his testimony, saying yes, he was alarmed at how Jackson was ''deteriorating'' , that he recommended AEG bring in outside medical experts and a psychiatrist, but that never happened. A few days after that MJ was dead. Now we're looking at this going into September, we'll hear from Debbie Rowe, mother of two of MJ"s three children All of this seems unnecessary if we're just trying to determine who actually ''hired'' the Doc but again, this isn't' Joe Smith so it's taking a while.

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/23089412/michael-jackson-wrongful-death-lawsuit-what-if-it-was-joe-smith (Archiv-Version vom 12.08.2013)

melden

09.08.2013 um 08:59
Michael Jackson was responsible for his own health - Kenny Ortega

Thursday, August 08, 2013
Miriam Hernandez

<object id="otvPlayer" width="400" height="268"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/static/flash/embeddedPlayer/swf/otvEmLoader.swf?version=fw1000&station=kabc&section=&mediaId=9200606&parentId=9200580&cdnRoot=http://cdn.abclocal.go.com&webRoot=http://abclocal.go.com&configPath=/util/&site=" ></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed id="otvPlayer" width="400" height="268" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" allowfullscreen="true" src="http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/static/flash/embeddedPlayer/swf/otvEmLoader.swf?version=fw1000&station=kabc&section=&mediaId=9200606&parentId=9200580&cdnRoot=http://cdn.abclocal.go.com&webRoot=http://abclocal.go.com&configPath=/util/&site="></embed></object>

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- In the Michael Jackson wrongful death trial, the director who worked with the singer just hours before his death returned to the stand Thursday.

Jurors heard the strongest statement yet to rebut the claim of Katherine Jackson that her son's tour producer, AEG Live, should be held liable for his death.

The questioning intensified after Kenny Ortega, the director for the "This is It" tour, answered a critical question from AEG attorney Marvin Putnam: Who was responsible for Michael Jackson's health?

Ortega replied, "Adults are responsible for their own health. I didn't think he was being very responsible. It was his responsibility, in my opinion."

The defense addressed a list of the plaintiff's claims, including the allegation that AEG execs pressured Jackson.

Question: Did you ever see AEG pressure him in anyway?

Ortega's response: No.

Ortega testified that Jackson and AEG were partners, co-producers, of the show. He told jurors about working with Jackson over 16 years and that he never saw any signs of drug dependency.

He stated that Jackson's illness on June 19 was like nothing he had seen before. He said when he alerted AEG execs to the star's symptoms -- shivering and signs of paranoia -- a meeting with Jackson and his physician, Conrad Murray, was set the next day.

Ortega testified that there, Murray lectured him and told him not to play amateur psychiatrist. He said Jackson himself offered assurances that he was fine.

Three days later, Ortega described a metamorphosis. Jackson was back on stage at his best rehearsal yet.

About who hired the doctor, the defense showed the jury the differences between contracts -- how Ortega's company was hired only by AEG, and how Murray's contract was based on Jackson's approval.

To contest, the Jackson attorney, Brian Panish, zeroed in on the alerts Ortega issued in emails. He pointed out that several staff members were worried about Jackson's health and that Ortega had suggested to execs that they bring in a mental health professional.

Regarding liability, Panish acknowledged Jackson's role, but says, "AEG wants to point the finger at Michael Jackson and Conrad Murray and they accept no responsibility."

The back and forth questioning escalated throughout the day, but Ortega maintained his composure. He was rewarded with applause from the jury.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/entertainment&id=9200580 (Archiv-Version vom 12.08.2013)

melden

09.08.2013 um 09:10
Michael Jackson dreamt of playing Iron Man on big screen

Friday, Aug 9, 2013, 11:41 IST | Agency: ANI

According to Jackson's former manager Dieter Weisner, the King of Pop wanted to buy Universal Pictures- the then owners of Marvel universe- and use them to leverage rights to star in superhero movies.

Michael Jackson hoped to portray Iron Man on the big screen, and had plans to open his own film studio so that he could land the part of the comic book hero.

The singer dreamed of playing superheroes in films but never succeeded after allegations of child abuse in the mid 1990s, the Mirror reported.

According to Jackson’s former manager Dieter Weisner, the King of Pop wanted to buy Universal Pictures- the then owners of Marvel universe- and use them to leverage rights to star in superhero movies.

A source close to the Jackson family told the publication that the late singer always saw himself as leading men in these films and especially felt Iron Man was a possibility as he felt he was similar to Tony Stark.

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/1872084/report-michael-jackson-dreamt-of-playing-iron-man-on-big-screen (Archiv-Version vom 10.08.2013)

ähnlicher Bericht
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/michael-jackson-wanted-play-iron-2141921

melden

09.08.2013 um 09:11
@FaIrIeFlOwEr
wow, das ist ja mal ne Aussage von Ortega und dieser Bericht von abclocal.go.com. Er ist dafür von der Jury mit Applaus belohnt worden.
......und wie die da schon wieder richtig schreiben, beantwortet das die Frage nach der Einstellung von Murray trotzdem nicht. Warum fragt man den denn nicht einfach und nimmt den ins Kreuzverhör und droht ihm, wenn er nicht richtig beantwortet, geht er gleich mal das doppelte in den Knast! :D

Anzeige

melden